Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rear handbrake cable installation…..

Millennium4can

Enthusiast
Hello everybody new to the forum and currrently doing some work on my first R4 which is a 1992 GTL clan.
So far I have done some much needed basic maintence and have replaced rear bearings shoes and cylinders. Still loads to do but I'm having a nightmare trying to get the handbrake cable back into the hooked leaver next to the pad I understand i have to pull the spring back and expose the cable to drop it into the gap on the lever but i seem to need 8 pairs of hands to do so am i missing a trick or do i need a small army to get this done?? any help would be fantastic. Thanks in advance.

It is quite a pain to get the handbrake connected. As you say you haven't got enough hands to get it done.

I take hexagonal bit at the end with a vice grip and the spring with a long beaked pair of pliers.
Now you need some strength. Pull the spring back and at the same time pull the cable down in the gaffe that pulls the handbrake.

It will take a few times and a lot of bad language to get it right.

After that tuck the spring and cable back in the recess where it's meant to sit.

Good luck

Thanks harbourseal managed to get it in this afternoon with help from a friend... only to realise I've over clicked the automatic adjuster on the pads so drum won't fit back on but sure I'll figure it out tomorrow. This is a great learning curve as I haven't worked on an old car since my Austin morris 850 16 years ago!!

Back