Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

REFERENCE NUMBERS

STEPHEN ADDISON

Enthusiast
Hi morning everybody, I could do with a little help on clarification of reference numbers.

My R4 is a left hand drive 1990 with a 1108 cc engine which I have been told is referenced R1227 but there is no reference to this on any paper work I have with the car. This info was given to me by my local motor factor company when I went to see them about spares for the rear brakes. The problem is that the only information that I can pull up on the internet for this reference is related to the R5. Is this reference number a link to the engine only?? and therefore could apply to both cars, in which case it does not really apply to rear brake parts.

Is there a central source where if you have the engine number you can determine the actual specification as it may be that my engine has been changed and thus I have no way of knowing if it still is 1108 cc.

Also on this forum in the paint code section it refers to series 100 200 etc what do these references indicate, is it colour spectrum, blues , greens or is it something else

I think mine is 135 natural (rodeo) ---- what does rodeo in brackets indicate?

Cheers

Steve

Hi, it would seem that R1227 refers to the (MK1) R5 with the same 1108cc engine. However, your car wouldn't be referred to as a R1227. Perhaps (because it's a 1990 car and UK R4s only went up to around 1986), the motor factor's computer can't cope with a 1990 R4.

Have a look at your oval plate. The first line on my 1990 left-hand drive 1108cc GTL is '1128', i.e. R1128. What is yours?

See http://quatrelle.wikia.com/wiki/Model_identification
http://quatrelle.wikia.com/wiki/Model_identification
The 'R' number is vehicle type and does seem to correspond to engine size, but also to other things.

To find out what engine you have, you need to find the engine code, which is on the engine itself. See here: http://quatrelle.wikia.com/wiki/Engine for details of how to find your engine code and what it refers to.

I think you're right about each series of colours (generally) referring to a colour.

Hope that helps.

I''d guess yours is an R1128 but it'll be on the oval plate on the bulkhead as jjad suggests. There were 2 different types of rear brake -Girling and Bendix. See http://www.renault4.co.uk/tech-brake-drums.htm

Rodeo in brackets on the paint codes page means the colour was used on the Rodeo. There are a few R4 sites in Europe and we exchange data. This came from one of them. I don't know if the colour was also used on models other than the Rodeo.

I'd recommend taking the drum off first to see what lies behind - my 4GTL needed new backplates and I was advised on this forum that if they had a widened vent at the bottom then the brake type would be Girling. So I searched for ages to find Girling backplates (Citroen AX ones which need a little modification) when I could have got new Bendix ones from my local Renault dealer. And yes, when I eventually removed a drum what lay behind were Bendix parts! Anyway I now have all the parts to convert to Girling - in theory. I expect that there might be issues when it comes to assembling them.

Well done guys between all your info you have solved my situation. The two links that you sent jjad where brilliant and I have now defined what I actually have in my garage.
It would appear the log book is wrong on two counts, colour and engine. I do not have a natural 139 (rodeo ) 1108 cc car ----- it is a 109 beige alpaga 956 cc car --- apparently made in Slovenia with the engine Cleon. the code on the oval is 112C indicating it being a TL Savanne
I suppose it will mean a re issue of the log book but I will wait until the restoration is well defined before I do as I intend to increase the engine and I may change the colour as well.
Thanks your assistance chaps you are all so much better than trawling the internet
Steve

Back