Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Ren 5 gains rpm on Tick over

Hi forum, I've just purchased a 1.4 Monaco that has been off road since 2014 , on start up the engine gains in rpm to about 3000 rpm and holds there about. I've had a look at the idle jet in between the twin port on the Webber drt 32 carb , and they are all closed shut, when you open the ide jet the rpm drops to wherever you set it too, but smoke apears from the exhaust and when closed the ide jet gains in rpm and smoke clears . Are the idle jet meant to be closed and is the problem else where. I do have a video of the start up of engine , but can't seem to upload it on to post. Thanks if any one can help

I serviced a 1.4 with exactly this problem a year or so ago. The carb needs to come off and the butterfly flaps examined. On the one I worked on the second carb was permanently stuck "on" so the engine revved like heck but once I'd freed off the pivots and adjusted the linkages it behaved perfectly! If you want the carburettor refurbished and to look like new I know a company in Leighton Buzzard who rebuild them to an "as new" standard. PM me if you need to know more.

I serviced a 1.4 with exactly this problem a year or so ago. The carb needs to come off and the butterfly flaps examined. On the one I worked on the second carb was permanently stuck "on" so the engine revved like heck but once I'd freed off the pivots and adjusted the linkages it behaved perfectly! If you want the carburettor refurbished and to look like new I know a company in Leighton Buzzard who rebuild them to an "as new" standard. PM me if you need to know more.
Hi thanks for advice, I will check them, I should be ok with everything thank you again

Hello Paul, I don't know this carb at all, but isn't there perhaps an idle screw (speed) as well as an idle mixture screw?

If you have the idle speed under control, it sounds like your mixture is too rich

Just to let every one know , that the Renault 5 tick over problem is fixed and running like a dream thanks to Paul Cunningham for your video and help . For those who are interested what was wrong, it was the butterflies on base of carb not working freely enough for closing shut fully. Thanks for everyone's help.

Just to let every one know , that the Renault 5 tick over problem is fixed and running like a dream thanks to Paul Cunningham for your video and help . For those who are interested what was wrong, it was the butterflies on base of carb not working freely enough for closing shut fully. Thanks for everyone's help.

From memory this was a common fault on these carbs! Glad you have sorted it out.

Back