Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 GTL central Portugal ( attn: Neil and Jewels! )

Potty

Enthusiast
It's time to let the banana car go as other projects are ahead, it will be much missed.
It is in excellent condition inside and out, no rust dents scratches or rot .
When I bought the car I had a complete brand new Renault front floor welded in and it's had a lot of tlc since. It's just had a service and a mot with no advisories.
The engine runs really well, I use the car everyday sometimes long distances and mostly up and down the mountains ( you can't avoid them around here ).
The transmission was changed about 3 years ago.
There's about 173500 kms in the clock ( see the picture which was taken today)
For a 1988 car thats low.
To tax the car in Portugal is a little over 11 euros.
The price is 3250 euros ( I'll let you do the math in pounds ).
I'm in central Portugal near Serta, a coach leaves Lisbon direct to Serta and I can pick you up from there, alternatively the nearest train station is Tomar but that's 40 Kms away.
If you want to buy I'll take you to the nearest Financas to deal with the registration.
Please note the price is not negotiable, the money is going to a good cause and that's what I'm asking for.
In return you'll get a fantastic car and a friendly service.
I will post what pics I can here if you want anymore please send me a pm and I'll email you the rest.IMG_20180224_140212099_HDR.jpg IMG_20180224_140229232_HDR.jpg IMG_20180224_140301649_HDR.jpg IMG_20180224_140330110_HDR.jpg IMG_20180224_140419928_HDR.jpg IMG_20180224_140429548_HDR.jpg

I'm not in the frame at the moment Potty
Currently have three in stock at home in Wales, not helped by us spending 35 weeks in Portugal annually. Every time a genuine respondent replies to one of my ads., we are here, escaping the incessant cold and precipitation!
Plus our faithful Portuguese GTL , nowt much to look at, BUT WHAT A WORK-HORSE ....

Good Luck,
N.

P.S.

The ball is in your court now Jewels. The price is right when you consider the car needs nothing spending on it .....

I'm surprised you still have your cars for sale in the UK Neil, do the Brits still have an aversion to left hand drive?. Renault 4's are so narrow inside it shouldn't make any difference.
Portuguese cars don't believe in rust ( nor do they believe in indicators!)

Although the UK folks preference remains to acquire RHD, prospective buyers are turning towards left-hookers purely because of supply and demand.
Your remarks last Thursday re: custoJusto and olx ring true. You are probably aware that eBay and gumtree are also fertile territory for cranks and dreamers, so I now treat EVERYONE as a time-waster .....
and as for the "what's your best price brigade?" ...... it's the delete button for them. So, if they do come back, you know there's a 1% chance they MAY be genuine.
once again Potty, good luck,
N.

Agree dreamers is the word, they turn up with the dream of touring France Spain or Portugal in a Renault 4 so you would think LHD is the way to go, Nah ?
well i do not think there are many RHD worth having and if you used them in the UK they would fall to pieces in a short time, time wasters indeed,
3 times last week i was asked to send pictures of various cars and vans,then all the excuse's were trotted out, ask what it is decide do you want it, turn up and pay for it then bugger off, Jeez

Hi Potty
Thanks for the update on your yellow beauty
Sorry but out of my price range so will keep looking
Good luck and thanks again all you guys
Jewels

Hi Potty
Thanks for the update on your yellow beauty
Sorry but out of my price range so will keep looking
Good luck and thanks again all you guys
Jewels

I speak with a fair amount of Renault 4 experience, both UK and Portugal, although my following observations could be applied to any used vehicle .....

You could find a Renault 4 in your "price range", may look a bit tired; possible (undisclosed) mechanical issues; the odd funny noise?? If you've spent sufficient time on the Algarve, you are aware that finding a reliable, punctual (old-timer) mechanic, can be challenging. So, to get your "bargain" looking and sounding nice could double your total spend. (That occasional splutter after engine warm-up .... coil/points/condenser/plugs/worn carb ?)

Unless you are handier than the average d.i.y-er, a "ready to go" example would prove a lighter burden on your budget,

N.

No problems Jewels, just out of interest what is your price range? because you were asking for a car " ready to go".
I'm sure Neil will back me up in this as he has a lot of experience with Renault 4's here in Portugal, the Portuguese when
it comes to selling a car they always want as much as they can for it, they will overprice it and there isn't much room for haggling.

So most of the time you are paying for more than you are actually getting, hence why if you look around the websites at cars there is
a varying price difference. If it's cheap, I can guarantee you, there will be a fair bit of work to be done. I've seen top end car's going for 5000 to 6000 euros and these are beautiful mint examples which nobody here will pay as there are so many 4's here. They tend to go to Germany or Holland.

I've seen many going for 2000 euros, but you will have to pay another 1000 on top to get it how you want.

I've been on a few Renault 4 "rallies" around Portugal and everyone who goes on these things alway say buy the best you can, unless
you are a competent mechanic and can source parts. That being said they are very easy cars to work on.

As I said in my original post I tend to avoid selling anything on car websites ( I'm not including classic car websites in this ) as it is a minefield,
and I avoid them when buying as well. When I buy a car, it is from word of mouth, people I know or friends of friends etc, or classic car dealers.

But good luck in your search Jewels, but if you do buy privately take a mechanic or someone who speaks Portuguese well ( apologies for assuming if you are not Portuguese or do not speak fluently!)

On another note Neil there is a large classic car dealers very near Castelo Branco called bbclassicos, I've driven past it on a couple of occasion, but find it hard to stop due to it's location, nor can I see a way to get in. They have a website bbclassicos.com but it doesn't tell you much.
The reason I'm telling you this is they have a gorgeous looking F4 van with windows in a brown/olive colour amongst many other cars.

I'll try and stop next time I'm passing and try and get a picture, but there tends to be a great big truck up my behind when i slow down to take a look. I've tried ringing but no answer.

Obviously anyone reading this wanting a van like this, try ringing them too.

Back