Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4s currently on eBay

Paul Narramore

pre-moderated
Item 172667137482 "None but the brave" springs to mind. Barn find, very cheap.

Item 112622189153 1984 GTL, red, sunroof, looks in nice condition, £3250.

Item 252928787868 1976 R4L, LHD, looks a minter, £6000.

This one too..... 282455059188 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/classic-cars-renault-4-/282455059188

Which does look nice but sellers attitude would put me right off.

Also, am I the only one that thinks £5k+++ for a LHD model is a bit strong (I'm not referring specifically to this one with that comment but there do appear to be a lot of nice looking, LHDs coming up for sale here at strong money). If they are worth that sort of money then an equally good RHD model has to be worth more than that.....

"Please don't ask me what my best price is - you have it" and yet there's a 'Best Offer' tab. Strange. As far as the price for our old cars is, I think all old cars/motorbikes are ridiculously overpriced but then my mind remains in the 1960s. How anyone can ask £1000 for a Honda moped, I've no idea. Nice looking LHD car though.

strange way to put an ad. with an attitude like that people will be terrified to ask questions.how many cars come off the production line with that amount of miles, some p.d.i that was;)xx( but i must add its a nice car) but not a patch on my baby

Last edited:
I believe that buyers are responsible for the rise in R4 re-sale values, regardless of the "drive-side". They appear to be motivated by nostalgia as much as their love for the model. As Lobster says, it's reasonable to expect good RHDs to make a few quid more than LHDs in similar condition. However, logic ain't what it use to be. When I began to take an interest in cars in the "mid-sixties", you couldn't give an LHD away in West Wales.
I just asked Google why LHD cars are more expensive than RHD in England, and the top result was an article published in eBay.
It endorses the sentiments above, although I'm struggling to accept their reasons for the value disparity,
Cheers,
N.

Classic car prices have rocketed in France, so maybe that's why LHD are more (?)
Yes ret, classic prices from our nearest European neighbour will affect the home market.
However, I'm sure you'll agree that asking prices are often a poor guide to an item's true value. Anyone can ask £5 grand for a Renault 4, but as soon as a buyer steps-up to the fore, that's the new benchmark.
We often hear our cars described as "usable classics", a term that can hardly be applied to the eyewatering stock offered below.....

http://www.oldtimerfarm.be/en/collection-cars-for-sale.php

N.

Even if I had the money, I would be too scared to drive any of those works of art - I usually aim to buy a vehicle with dents already, because I know I will only add to them!
I am a 'respray with a paintbrush' guy, but with everything good under the skin.

In a way, higher prices will help preserve the decreasing car numbers, even if it does send some cars out of reach of your average second-hand-car buyer - it becomes worth spending the money to keep them in decent nick ....... and so the prices rise!

Back