Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 5 ts

BrianvB

Good day

I have a renault 5 ts 1.4 with a 5 speed gearbox and a 32 weber .I can't seem to get more then 8.5km/l in town and about 10 on the open road .I have replaced the filters and the plugs .car timing runs best when at a more advanced setting the normal marks can anyone please help me with this

Hello Brian from SA
I have a Zenith 28 carb on my carb and recently when I investigated my fuel consumption I found that the settings of the choke flap on the carb were incorrect. I had been running on half-choke the whole time. After I rectified it, I nearly doubled my mileage!!
The symptoms were black tail pipe and black sooty plugs.
When the car is running, the correct position of the choke flap should be completely vertical to suck in as much air as possible.
I don't know the Weber carb, but you might have a similar problem
good luck:)

Mojobaby thank you for the reply my weber carb does not have its choke flaps in as they were removed by the previous owner

The 32 weber is a twin choke carb. It is designed to run most of the time with the second choke closed by the choke flap and should return at least 7l/100km , maybe 6l. On full throttle the second choke opens and throws more fuel in.

The reason more advance helps is you have too much fuel and it is burning too slowly. Try making ir buying a new choke for the secondary.

Hi Brian, I get 15/16 Kms per liter, which is 35-37 mpg in the old language. Very happy with that:)
Good sound advice from Malcolm, let us know your results.

Thank you malcolm

It have checked it and it stays closed till about almost on full throttle. The jetting is 117 and 125 main and 190 and 185 air cant seem to find a workshop manual on the ts to check if this is correct. Mojobaby I wish I could get that figures

Think I may have found some problem the spark plugs given to me by the local store is NGK plugs the long screw tip and I see that the plugs on the ts is champion l87yc that is a short screw copper plug don't know if this will make a difference ?

Can anyone give any more help pleas!!!!
Change the spark plugs and did a controlled test got 9km/l in town so about .5 more. I some one maybe has a PDF copy of ts 1.4 owners manual ?

Hi Brian
Pretty sure that your problems are carb related, so wouldn't it be a better idea to look for a PDF file on your carburetor? There are also some Youtube videos on the Weber carb.

It's a Weber 32/36 right? Any other numbers?

what colour were your old spark plugs when you removed them? Also just please confirm that you actually have choke flaps in the carb.

It might be worthwhile to get an emissions test to see how much unused fuel you're pushing out of your exhaust pipe. I've also found this chart for you to make sure that your jets are the correct size.
I also think that if your air jets are to small or blocked, then you'll use more fuel

weberspecs.jpg

Hi All,

I am not sure if this is the right place but I have a fully running Renault 5 1990 Campus for sale. Ive had it for 3 years and it runs perfectly. I live in London now and have a bike and never use it.

Malcolm is this the right place to advertise it?

Phil

Back