Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault in the Deep South

GeorgiaR4

Enthusiast
Now that my Renault 4 is in Georgia, I have to get her registered.
First step is to visit the Sheriff and have him sign off on the VIN, then its down to my friendly DMV- Dept of Motor Vehicles- to do the paperwork. Here are some pics at my local police station, I know them quite well through the Minis I import here- nice cops, and always wave as ' strange man' in funny cars drives through town.
Petrol station before police station

Chief of Police Mark doing the paperwork

Renault behind one of there Crown Vics

Next to a black and white

Next is to visit the nice ladies at DMV- it is very small town America so everything is yes Ma'am. Will post pics when I go there.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's daft enough driving a Renault 4 in the UK, but driving one in the States, especially a nice old one, must attract a lot of attention.

Your photos are brilliant!

Thanks Malcolm although I am sure Clementine did it. How did you do it ?
I cut and pasted URL from my hosting company- should I be using HTML tag or IMG code or just step back from computer :p
Its the gear shifter that gets them going, and can't wait until I take her to a restaurant that does valet park and see what they do ? since they always insist being all macho and that. I may take my cam and video this comedy.

Clementine is the stuffed cat puppet that tells me what to say. Her paws are too big for the keyboard so it's me that always ends up doing all the typing. That has always resulted in a lot of confusion on the forum, and the username change finally got the go ahead following a bunch of messages from randy Dutch R4 owners.

The image thing is easily done. Click where you want the picture, then click on
insertimage.gif
at the top of the box you write your post. Paste the image link in the box that pops up and it should appear in your post.

Your R4 seems to be a very original '74! Nice color,too. Maybe it is the only R4 in the United States?

There are very few in Switzerland, although there used to be loads, so although Alpi is a bit battered and old looking, it gets loads of admiration. This can get a bit silly when I had a girl driving along and trying to photograph it with her mobile at the same time. This would not have been so bad had I not been in the middle of the Sankt Gotthard Tunnel (19 kms long) at the time.

This trying to photograph R4's with mobiles while driving must be contagious, as I had a woman photographing mine on the M62 coming back from Hull recently.
At one point I thought she was going to take out the central reservation!
Wonder how she'd have explained that one to the traffic police?

Getting the R4 into America

What a lovely specimen of a 4L. I am a half-American living abroad, but may at some point want to be able to enjoy my R4 in the U.S. How did you go about this process? Is it a costly one? I had thought that they might not even be allowed to exist in the U.S., and was delighted to see that they are!

By the way, do you happen to know the colour number of that particular yellow?

Thank you.

I reckon that's 301 Jaune Citron (Lemon Yellow), though yellow is bad for fading after 40 years so could be wrong.

I also import Austin Minis into the USA, and added this R4 in with the container--- yes it is getting very expensive to bring cars from England into the USA--- why not buy this one from me ?
I have it stored near Atlanta, and I now live in Seattle. If I haul it up to Seattle, I will keep it since the transportation and work involved will be quite a bit. I can give you a good deal if you buy it whilst it is still in the South.

I like the idea, but I am currently residing on the island of Crete, in Greece, and still do not know my plans for the future. My base in the U.S. is Vermont. If the car goes to Seattle and is still available at some point when I can propose something concrete, I will contact you. However, out of curiosity, how much would you ask for it? Is it in good working condition, solid chassis, etc.?

Thank you!

Barbara

Barbara, she is in good condition, engine runs like a top- starts and stops well, all brakes are good as are tires, unmarked interior, floors are not rusted out, chassis does have a minor amount of rust at rear. Ran this puppy for quite some time around town- fuel lines had perished, so I bought all new lines. Body does have some dings, could really do with a paint job. The windows need to have the channels replaced since they will not slide.
She was sold new in Paris, with the small engine for the French market as opposed to one that was for export- I bought her in London. What I liked most about her is that she is original, and has not been mucked around with.
If I haul her to Seattle, I would do a complete restoration and have her looking pristine- as she is I would sell her for $4,250
Feel free to call me at anytime- 678.787.0294
Spencer

Oh my... I used to own one just like this when I was a kid.. same color. I know I am 8 years late on your post but are you thinking about selling it? Thanks!

Back