Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault Modus automatic gearbox fault

Les Palmer

I have just purchased a Renault Modus. It is fitted with an automatic gearbox. What I have discovered is that when accelerating through the box, all is fine til I reach top gear. Then the gearbox jumps down to 3rd and the the dashboard says "check gearbox". it is then impossible to do anything tith the gearbox except stay in 3rd. I pull to the side of the road and switch off. Then I restart the engine and all is fine. This only happens when the engine is less than normal temperature. Once normal temperature is achieved, all is fine. Any ideas?

Have you checked the automatic transmission fluid level? Some manufacturers say the fluid level must be checked with the engine RUNNING and with the car in either neutral or in park, but check the instruction manual for this. It might be worth seeing when the automatic transmission fluid was last changed, too. Although it's often not possible to drain all the fluid from the sump, a fair amount can be removed from the gearbox by draining the sump and topping it up every time he engine oil is changed. In this way the automatic transmission fluid is gradually changed over time. If the fluid coming out has a burnt smell to it, then it needs changing!

An engine diagnosis would also answer the question!

Have you checked the automatic transmission fluid level? Some manufacturers say the fluid level must be checked with the engine RUNNING and with the car in either neutral or in park, but check the instruction manual for this. It might be worth seeing when the automatic transmission fluid was last changed, too. Although it's often not possible to drain all the fluid from the sump, a fair amount can be removed from the gearbox by draining the sump and topping it up every time he engine oil is changed. In this way the automatic transmission fluid is gradually changed over time. If the fluid coming out has a burnt smell to it, then it needs changing!

An engine diagnosis would also answer the question!
I have the car going back to the garage for diagnostics (it is under warranty). Thanks for your help.

A mechanic friend of mine who still works for a Renault franchised garage in north London described the Modus as "not Renault's finest hour"...........

Back