Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Replace anti-roll bar with stiffer one?

jimmer

i seem to remember reading that this was a mod that could be done to stiffen up the suspension a bit.
i'm in the process of replacing my front shocks, and am going to need to find some new brackets for the anti-roll bar anyway, and i've noticed that the place i'm getting them also has an F6 ARB in stock.

Is this ok to do by itself? or should it only be done replacing the torsion bars too?

if ok as a standalone modification, is it worth doing? i do appreciate the soft suspension and the ride, but i guess i'd like to have to fight a little less in the corners. will this achieve that?

thanks
jimmer

Bonjour jimmer, retro fitting a stiffer ARB is a good mod to do. No need to worry about replacing the torsion bars, the ones you have will be fine. You may also consider fitting an ARB to the back of your car, an F4 one is the one I've fitted to my GTL, and that with a stiffer one up front makes a hell of a difference. Ok you lose that typical querky French car roll, but you gain some really good road holding.
Regards Brian

great thanks cornish,
sounds like the thing to do then. and if i only do the front and don't touch the back, will it feel weird and too different front and back, or is it still worth doing?

Just doing the front makes a noticeable difference jimmer, and the car does handle better. The one I've got on the back, off the F4 is only 10 or 12mm diameter, but I've an idea the F6 rear one might be 16mm. But I'm sure there is an expert out there who will correct me if I'm wrong. It could be too stiff for a saloon, and the one I'm using is just fine.

Later. I've just been out to the garage, the rear ARB on my car is 14mm, quite stiff enough.

Last edited:
Not all rear suspension arms are drilled and tapped ready to bolt the arb straight on this applies to both cast and pessed steel types
Seem to remember the clamps are possibly different designs too
Ive got 5 gordini turbo front on my yellow peril which is stiffest of all

Back