Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Return of Claude the F4

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
Claude the F4 is coming back to the UK after a 5 year holiday in France. I've always wanted an F4 and this one has the 1108cc engine, roof rack and tow bar. It was first registered to the British Embassy in Cameroon and has the cyclone air filter and rough road suspension and guards. It is the estate version with back seats and rear windows.

First registration was in 1990, but the certificate of conformity says it was first registered in 1987. It was grey when built and I believe it was resprayed red before it weent to Cameroon. @angel are you able to look up the body number and guess a date? It is 239B, 43577000, C002243.

I've changed a wheel bearing and oil, and have been buzzing around Burgundy this week. Planning the 900km trip home on Tuesday.

• claude.jpg
    claude.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 8
Well done Malcolm good choice and very practical, looks like it could do with a bit of spruce up ?
I've done nearly 3000 miles since the beginning of August and i love it (i think i prefer it to the saloon) but each to
his own, good luck on the way back.

This has to be one of my favourites! Estate, "rounded box" F4 rear end, and 1100 power!

C002301 was the first Estate F4 for the 1988 model year (June '87). So yours should be one of the last '87 Estates, presumably May '87

Thanks Angel. The certificate of conformity gives a first registered date (rather than build date) of 15 July '87. I'll try to register the car as an '87. It will be useful to have an estate as the local dump doesn't allow vans.

The car needs a wash but is in very good condition in the important areas. It has a new CT but has a big hole in the floor, loose suspension joints, and the indicators didn't work.

I'm planning to get the tyres balanced today ready for the trip home tomorrow. There is too much vibration over 100km/h which would make the journey too long.

• 20140914_101132.jpg
    20140914_101132.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 6
Oh no. There is a big oil leak from underneath somewhere. The sump is wet, there are oil spots on the tailgate, and the oil needed to be topped up. Ought to be fine if we check the level when we fill up with petrol. Setting off at 07:00 tomorrow.

Tyre balancing worked well. Should be able to drive at around 110km/h now.

• 20140915_095945.jpg
    20140915_095945.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 7
The journey home took 15 hours at not much more than 100km/h. The roof rack got noisy at higher speeds and ear plugs don't seem effective against roof rack noise. Also the weight of the wine in the back overcame the dampers and with the tracking out the car became unsteady. The oil leak seems to be getting better - it might have been due to lack of use.

Didn't feel up to much this afternoon after the long drive yesterday so a good wash underneath to see where I need to weld and a bit of polish. The red respray turns out to be fairly poor quality so I don't think Renault had anything to do with it. I wonder who did it and why they went to the effort of painting the inside and engine bay too. Maybe it is to do with the 3 year gap between manufacture and registration in Cameroon.

• home.jpg
    home.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 10
welcome home Malcolm & Claude after your long trip, i was thinking of putting a roof rack on mine but i might think again now :eek:,
looks quite good after it's wash :).

He looks shiner that when he left. He had a useful life here in France but we didn't have the expertise to do the various minor repairs etc.

An album here of his life in France - well the first few years when he was still shiny!

I'll have to change my username and avatar now.

What a drive!

And nice choice of model! I would like to give home to one like that. Round roof, back seat and big rear windows.

Can you please give us some photo of inside the car, dashboard at least!

Does front seats fold for access to the rear seat?

The tents are surprisingly cheap Lobster. See the clearance section of the Gala Tent website.

Bobble visited in his F6 a week or two ago. It's interesting to compare the two. The F6 is quite a bit longer.

• f4-f6-side.jpg
    f4-f6-side.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 8
  • f4-f6-rear.jpg
    f4-f6-rear.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 8
  • f4-f6-front.jpg
    f4-f6-front.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 7
Eventually got my towbar fitted today but decided not to fit the roof rack after talking to Malcolm as i don't really want to drive around with ear plugs in :D

The UK registration arrived this morning. The numberplate is the same as last time the car was in the UK, but the DVLA now seem to think it is a 1994 car. Hopefully that won't cause too much trouble at the next MOT.

Ready for the snow now with it's big mud and snow (mostly mud) tyres.

• uk-plates.jpg
    uk-plates.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 118
Hi Malcolm. I've just put my anorak on. I think you'll find that G reg is 1988, so not too far out.

There is a bit of confusion about the first registration dates. Made in 1987, registered in Cameroon in 1990 as a new car, re-registered in the UK in 1994, registered in France as a 1994 car. I've checked the DVLA website and they have 1990 as the manufacture date (hence the G plate) which should be fine for MOTs. Hopefully OK for classic insurance too now that's 25 years ago.

Hmm, thank you Rob :-) Nice looking van Malcolm, and just reading the thread it's had an interesting past hasn't it. 1990 sounds good for the MOT, shouldn't be a problem.

Back