Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Right hand drive conversion kits

Alpineman

Enthusiast
I think all who come here regularly will have noticed the decreasing amount of Renault 4s coming up for sale these days. You used to see them fairly regularly on ebay but not these days it seems. (I know Mike's is there at the moment.)

Well I've noticed that Windclassics do a complete right hand drive conversion kit for 325 euros. Haven't enquired exactly what it consists of but it states complete kit to change from left hand drive to right hand drive.

Just increases your options slightly if you're looking for one, especially when you look what comes up for sale on Quatrelleonline.

Just a thought. Anyone here done a right hand drive conversion? Liam?

Or perhaps we could get Mike to source us all perfectly rust free Spanish cars for next to nothing? and then take it in turns to Easyjet down there and drive em back for a right hand drive change over in a weekend?! If only life were that easy. :D

Never done a conversion but have had a look at the bulkheads and they are slightly different in places but i do not think it would be too bad a job .The only concern i would have is what about insurance ? and also would it have to be sva tested ?They bring in all these new laws and regs and trying to get round them can be a nightmare as someone i know found when they brought a RHD car that had a rust free spanish chassis fitted and obviously the chassis number was incorrect and he had to have it sva tested and all sorts of temp modification were required like modifing the bumpers and dash so they had not sharp edges etc etc.

That RHD conversion kit is a one off. I think it came off a right-hand car the owner of Wind Classics was trying to sell for a while and gave up, converted it into a LHD

Liam is right, the bulkheads are very differant. When I first got the "purple peril" I was going to convert it. There are no blanking plates for the steering shaft or the pedals. The only way I could see it being done (and I don't think it would be too difficult) was to get a scrap rhd and cut the required area out of both cars and tack the new bits on! Then of course there is the dashboard! This again would make it sense to get a doner car!
Well as you probably know my blue R4 has gone! It's gone to a very good home and the new owner (a smashing bloke) is going to town on it asap and will post pics when he's done it! He's got a Traction Avante by the way so he's used to the foibles of old French metal! Maybe he will post a picture of that in the gallery??
I will indeed keep my ear to the ground for Spanish R4'S and will let you all know every time I come across one. I'll even pick you up from the airport and provide free accomodation!

Back