Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Roadtrip to Scotland

MarieR4

Carburettor cleaner
Hi
after a trip to the Großglockner last year - I am now going to do a road trip to Scotland in my R4 mid May - quite a journey. Any suggestions where I must go? We are starting in Newcastle, then Isle of Skye ist on the agenda, the coast road up to the north, then Inverness and heading south to Edinburgh and back to Newcastle.

And any ideas where to go in case I need helpful hands in the unlikely event of... ?

Thanks,
Carsten
www.instagram.com/quatrellix

Every time we go across the boarder we take the A696 from Newcastle to the A68 and into Scotland. Far nicer route that the A1. Toilet stop in Jedburgh to look at the river and the Abbey is always nice on a sunny day. That will at least get you on your way.

The Queens Mum's house is good, and the road to Applecross, (has a warning sign saying not for learner drivers O.o)

The Ardnamurchan peninsula is lovely - the A861 (don't be fooled by the 'A'..) from Garvan to Salen and then the B8007 up to Sanna is a fantastic, other-worldly drive. Perfect in an R4!
Don't forget the islands, too. Mull is wonderful, and for the perfect back-of-beyond experience, try the Western Isles - here's a picture of Harris. Have a great time!151.JPG

Thank you so much. Great hints. Will be exciting!

Quite a journey but that's the nature of a road trip, isn't it? Hope the car will run without issues.

Applecross will be on the list, as we only have 12 days we will be limited to 2 nights on Skye. Guess we will do some Facebook blogging on the route in case somebody wants to join us virtually.

Airbnb helps us.. Father and son doing crazy things :)

Hallo Marie! we did a roundtrip of Bonnie Scotland a few years ago-reminded me much of the western-counties of Norway,but still not..
We stayed at a very nice hotel/motel in Loch Torridon on the west-coast.Very nice place, fab.scenery,but if going in june/july be sure
to have some mosquito-repelland ready.. Mosquitos not quite as big as in Northern-Norway, but stuffed they would certainly make a
nice leather two-seater sofa! -Reid.

It's Midges you need to watch for on the west coast of Scotland. You can get a forecast for them - http://midgeforecast.co.uk/ Not too bad in May and September but they can be an annoyance in summer months.

All of the western isles are nice. I don't like the north coast much as there isn't much up there. Be sure to take a map of whisky distilleries as they normally offer free tours with wee drams at the end. Be sure to drive up the North side of Loch Ness. There is no good round trip route around the highlands. Stirling and Loch Lomand area is worth a visit which will get you out west. Glencoe is on the route from there to the western isles. Perthshire and the route of the river Tay is pretty for the way back down. But you'll miss so much just doing that and will need to visit again. It isn't a big country so you can scoot around a bit. Edinburgh and Glasgow are cool too.

The funny thing about Scotland for me is the mountain Schiehallion which has a distinctive pointy shape which is visible from pretty much any other mountain in Scotland. How come whenever I go up Schiehallion it is foggy or rainy? Surely it can't be like that all the time or I wouldn't be able to see it from elsewhere.

I agree Malcolm it is beautiful and there are so many places to visit it's difficult to know where to start so you would need to come back again and again :laughing:.
We have been to Skye and all along the west coast, Shetland and Orkney, we liked Orkney so much we went there 5 times in one year :laughing: and will be going back this year to co-inside with the vintage rally in August.

20140807_084746.jpg
20140807_084915.jpg

Dear all , thanks for all your hints and suggestions. It is going to be the first time up there and driving all the way from Hamburg will be a long journey. We have drafted a first route which will need to get some fine tuning with your ideas.
Thanks for helping us. See you in May in Scotland :)
Here's the drafted route
Thanks again

Last edited:
Great trip .. still a few days to go. Those with Instagram oder facbook can follow #HIGHLNDR4
Greetings from Inverness, Carsten

Every time we go across the boarder we take the A696 from Newcastle to the A68 and into Scotland. Far nicer route that the A1. Toilet stop in Jedburgh to look at the river and the Abbey is always nice on a sunny day. That will at least get you on your way.
Fair enough but you miss out on fantastic castles and scenery of North Northumberland and Berwick, wonderfull.

xDSCF2643.JPG
Marie in Ullapool

Just wanted to say thank your for your hints. We had a great time. Guess we saw more than expected on our tour - temperatures up to 27°C and only a few hours with rain. We had a completely broken ignition near Poolewe and on Skye, but all parts with us so we could fix it. Driving up to the very north is a must.
We did 2700km in Scotland in 10 days plus another 1000 from Hamburg to Amsterdam to get the Ferry to Newcastle.

Definitly a tour my son and I will remember for the ret of our lifes.

Now time to put this into a blog, in case someone is interested, I will put the links here.

Thanks, Carsten

Back