Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rustol cip

Azazello

habitué
Having seen here and somewhere else people using this antirust, and given the wonderful caracteristic told by the technical sheet and by the opinions of former users, I decided to buy this for my chassis that I am in order of finish welding. Cip but not cheap: 82 euros 2,5 liters delivered home.

http://www.owatrol.com/index.php?langue=en&page=produits-rustol-cip

Now I would like some advice from the ones of you that already used it...
For example it says not to thin it before use, but if I want to use a spraygun I think I must thin it somehow... which percentage of what?
The drying time is quite long, around 3 days I read... but can I give a second hand without doing anything or shouldI scratch the first layer somehow, e.g. with sandpaper? same question passing from cip to final paint...

This is the way I want to operate:
Phosphatant where the rust is more consistent, than 2 coats of cip and sealant around all junctions and welds; than antistonechip on the underside and floors ending with a couple of layers of industrial black 2pack paint.
Trying to find dinitrol body 447 but is difficult to find in italy and buying from amazon or ebay from england is definitely too expensive.

Any correction or advice is really welcome!

Thank you all guys!

I looked at my auto shop in town and they have Owatrol in a tin to apply with a paint brush, but they also have Owatrol rust killer in an aerosol spray can, I think 300ml, maybe 400ml. You'd probably only need 2 cans for your chassis. Hopefully you can buy aerosol cans in Italy. It is not a paint primer, just a rust killer

You're correct, there is a 3 day drying time and it can't be diluted

I didn't use Owatrol on my car, but something similar for my rims.

When the rust is killed and converted, it doesn't leave a smooth surface. So I sanded my surface smooth and then reapplied the rust killer for a second time. Then I sprayed primer and then topcoat.

I looked at my auto shop in town and they have Owatrol in a tin to apply with a paint brush, but they also have Owatrol rust killer in an aerosol spray can, I think 300ml, maybe 400ml. You'd probably only need 2 cans for your chassis. Hopefully you can buy aerosol cans in Italy. It is not a paint primer, just a rust killer

You're correct, there is a 3 day drying time and it can't be diluted

I didn't use Owatrol on my car, but something similar for my rims.

When the rust is killed and converted, it doesn't leave a smooth surface. So I sanded my surface smooth and then reapplied the rust killer for a second time. Then I sprayed primer and then topcoat.
I think we are talking of different products... mine is owatrol cip, antirust primer that kills existing rust... already buoght on the net from an italian shop, 82 euros for 2,5 liters... arrived today!

Sorry, I think we are, after I read your post again. The Owatrol that I saw is just a rust killer. It is a clear liquid, so easy to spray.

The Owatrol that you have is the primer as well as rust killer, and can't be diluted enough for a spraycan. It will definitely block the nozzle

Very nice finish to that chassis. Did you translate the French? He says that he uses a 1,3 nozzle, perhaps thats wide enough so that it won't have a blockage

Yes, I understand quite easily written french cause is very similar to italian... The majority of cheap hvlp gun come with nozzle of that size... it is not so big.... but if it is good for the cip unthinned, it's good for me too; my spraygun has the same nozzle.
Thanks Mojobaby!

really looking forward to seeing your results because I may do the same one day

I am finishing the welding, I am now around 3/4 of the job... then the worst part: stripping rust and old paint with the grinder and cleaning all the dirt and grease from the front with thinner...
Hope to be able to paint in antirust before leaving for Thenay!

Some news: I had some problems with cip, in some points the black paint I used on it peeled off when i used compressed air to clean dust... suspect that the 2nd coach of cip didn't adhere very well on the 1st... I read of a guy who had to begin doing the job again because the whole chassis peeled off... I hope mine does not have dis problem on other areas... I gave the second coach a day after, while che first was still not poperly dry, trying to have a "wet on wet" effect. Next time (if there will be a next time) I will just use one thick coach.

Back