Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Seized Brake Bleed Nipples

Paul Narramore

pre-moderated
I mentioned this a while back so it was about time I sorted them out. My 8mm ring spanner was hopeless at loosening the bleed nipples so I bought some long reach sockets with hexagons and these were a far better fit on the old nipples than my 12-sided ring spanner. Using a gas blowtorch with a needlelike flame, it took just a few minutes for one nipple to release it's corroded grip on the slave cylinder. No amount of heat would loosen the opposing bleed nipple so it took the wheel off as this allowed me to get Mole grips on the rounded off partner. More heat and this time it loosened.

I cleaned up the threads on the bench rotary wire brush as I didn't have new nipples to fit. These are M8x1.25 by the way and stainless steel versions are available. Not cheap but a fit-and-forget item.

A smear of CoppaSlip and I refitted the old nipples back in for now until I get replacements.

Whilst under there, I wire brushed the very rusty swinging arms and applied Hammerite Underseal (with added Waxoyl) where I could and it now looks less like the Torrey Canyon under there ;-)

Back