Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Solex 32 DIS

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
I removed a Solex 32 DIS from an 1108 today because the car was running rich, underpowered, leaking fuel, and the choke was falling off. It's still got the identification plate (photo). Can anyone identify which engine it was originally intended for?

I'm wondering if it wasn't from some turbo car. Though those are 910 and this is an 876. More specifically wondering if it's a potential demon tuning mod for a Renault 4 if I fix it, or if it's best left in the bin.

• carb.jpg
    carb.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 4,623
  • 32dis.jpg
    32dis.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 8,716
Last edited:
Malcolm, looks like the 32 DIS was fitted to the Mk1 and 2 R5's but I can't trace the 876 one. Remember the Renault Diology discs I gave to you? - just wondered whether the answer is buried within them.

That's a very good point. I'd tried the manual and the internet. Shall try dialogues tomorrow. It didn't install completely - missing probably 75% of information but the mystery carb might well be there. Will report back. :D

No luck there - my copy of dialogues only shows the Super 5. Does look like it's got a part number on though. Might give the company formerly known as Whitehouse a call - could do with a boot floor or rear repair panel anyway and I've been meaning to ask them if they are still available.

Could not find this reference in Autodata Carburettor Manual. Seems that the 32 DIS is always associated with turbo Renaults however.

I've seen some references to it's use on the 1108cc and a 1200cc engine though nothing in detail. Every other reference is turbo related. It's an odd carb - the choke diameter is massively bigger than the throttle diameter (choke must be 50mm plus) which seems strange. It's got some weird water heating not on the manifold but on the base of the carb.

Crazy carb.

Edit>

I might have been daft. I was lead to believe (third party from the previous owner) it was a replacement carb from some super big engined Renault. One of the reasons it came off was the throttle would only open 1/4 of it's travel partly because it was restricted by a screw with a tamper proof cover that was inaccessible with the carb in place.

Further communications (again third party) with the previous owner suggest it may have actually been original which would explain the tamper proof cover being intact. Though it's not that tamperproof so might be there as a locking mechanism.

Renault would never have restricted throttle travel to 1/4 of max would they? It came off a Cameroon spec '89 1108 F4.

It is common for the 32 SEIA and Zenith 32 IF7 to have the water heating on the throttle base.
But only 1/4 max. throttle opening on a R4?! Maybe speed limit in Cameroon is 30 km/h?

I'm coming to the conclusion this was the carb originally fitted to Cameroon spec F4 vans. The previous owner who said the car was fitted with a carb from a big engined Renault has now clarified that the carb is the same type as fitted to the big engined Renaults but that he didn't fit it.

The other clue is that throttle opening. There's an original looking tamper proof screw (arrowed in the photo) that restricts the throttle opening by more than half (photo is flattering). That's going to be good for economy! The screw is inaccessible with the carb in place.

It's looking like Renault of Cameroon had run out of Solex 28IF carbs so fitted the 32DIS instead. Just restricted the throttle opening so the car still operated at Renault 4 speeds. Goodness knows what they did to the jets if they were prepared to restrict the throttle like that! No wonder it didn't run very well.

I'm in the market for a Renault 5 1100cc carb (one of the 45hp ones) if anyone has one spare. I've got the manifold, water pump, rocker cover and air filter housing to suit, just need the carb. Mr Reno?

• throttle-opening.jpg
    throttle-opening.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 5,214
Malcolm

I came across this pdf file from aussiefrogs.com that lists the carbs fitted to R4s, R5s and more http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21356&d=1190703888

It seems to list the Solex 32 DIS 876 as fitted to the 1128 C1E /19 engines. The engine plate on Claude (The F4 in question) gives the motor type as C1EK7/19

So it would, it seems, to have been an original fitment.

But the 239B (Claude's oval plate No. ) is shown on this list to have had the C1E 18 engine, as you say perhaps a special for the Cameroon market.

Edit - looking in the Haynes manual the Solex 32 SE1A seems to be shown as being set at what looks like 1/4 open for full throttle.

That's brilliant information. Thanks for that. From the aussie frogs chart it looks like the jetting is in the range used on 1222cc Renault 5s, though with a smaller air correction jet. That would presumably make the mixture a bit rich on full throttle, though if you don't get full throttle that's not really a problem.

It's possible the running problems were down to the choke control mechanism having fallen off or the overflowing float chamber rather than the carb being from something else. Do you want it back for originality? Otherwise I might try fitting it on Ermintrude to see what happens at full throttle.

As Claude seems to run fine with the carb you fitted (and replacing the original manifold, waterpump, choke and throttle cables, rocker cover and carb * seems a lot of work again ) you can try the Solex on Ermintrude - perhaps she'll then be the fastest 1108cc R4 :D

* And I forgot - air filter

Took the thing apart this aferrnoon. Doesn't look like that model will run reliably at full throttle opening. There's a weird arrangement not mentioned in the R5 manual that opens up a fuel jet at about 1/8 throttle as normal, but for full throttle the operating lever would need to be bent, and would no longer open at 1/8 throttle. That would probably mess up the mixture. Lucky thing as I can't figure out how that choke mechanism would have been fastened on either (probably with bits I don't have).

Anyone got a Renault 5 carb? :D

just got home so can type slightly faster on a proper keyboard rather than mobile phone
hoping to get back to barn later in week found a big pile of r4 bits even my friend (who owns the barn) new nothing about
there are at least 2 mk 1 5 carbs there + manifolds
also brand new tiny solex in mouse eaten box!!
brand new 845 water pump, 3 new 845cc pistons and liners
another ha1 box etc etc
oh and at least another 30 sets of points

pics and exact list soon

matt will have to have first offer if i can find complete carb set up for him though unless the 1108 R6 is to be broken up

malcolm , just remembered that the first (1975/6)mk1 5 gtls were 1289 not 1108 and had a carb that butterfly was restricted with a threaded screw, maybe someone fitted that as they were told mk1 5 carbs were an aftermarket upgrade !!
no haynes manual about to check ??

wont be back to barn till next weds so will bring carbs and anything else back then , not sure how good condition carbs are in as been standing a while, may post to you to play with if they dont appear terminal

Seems really weird to me that anyone would make a carb and restrict the thottle travel. Either got to be bad carb design or some performance restriction. Either way it's not going to be sensible for economy - engine has to work harder to suck air in.

I've got a fair amount of equipment here to clean carbs up, so would probably be up for any old heap. Those throttle shafts don't seem to wear all that badly on the R4/5 carbs.

Update on the 32DIS - Robert persuaded me to fit it to Ermintrude at the weekend. Gave it a good clean up and made a new choke mechanism mounting. The screw that restricted the throttle opening must have fallen off while I was playing with the choke, so I had to alter a cam to make that weird jet that is closed on part throttle open at the right time.

Mixed results - It runs fine at full throttle, and the power curve keeps on increasing at higher revs rather than the tailing off with the standard carb. No pinking trouble so the carb must be spraying plentiful fuel in under hard acceleration.

Rubbish on part throttle though - it's too lean. I'm wondering now whether that jet that opens up at 1/8 throttle is actually an anti-run on device for a main(ish) jet that should ideally be opening just off idle. Nothing in the manuals that mentions this device.

Seemed ironic that the carb runs badly on it's restricted opening but quite nicely at previously unavailable throttle opeings. :roll:

Help a needy R4 charity parcel service (4-AID)

malcolm ,if you pm me your adress i should be able to get carbs posted or couriered to you thursday

unfortunatley dont think can send entire (R4 related) barn contents by parcel !!!

but let me know if you think of anything else , will send you some points any way as they are very light to send and have acess to cheap courier service

paul

DIS and that

carb update for malcolm (and other interested people :) )

came back from barn with 2 boxes of assorted R4 goodies?
6 carbs =
1 x 28If 1108cc
1 x new solex 26 dis ? (with remains of box)
2x solex 32 (1 auto 1289 r5 mk1,1 x restricted as already discussed, prob early 5gtl )
2x zenith 32 both 1108 cc but seized spindles

this lot is all totally unknown history or condition

1 manifold to suit 32mm carbs ( but think ihave got another in my garage )

will post the 4 x32mm carbs on to you and 2 manifolds( hopefully ) ,will keep 28If for matt Guez

any takers for 26mm carb what does it fit ? part number on box see pic

more parts and pics to follow in spares section later

• IMAG0061.jpg
    IMAG0061.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 812
  • IMAG0062.jpg
    IMAG0062.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 796
  • IMAG0063.jpg
    IMAG0063.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 771
Brilliant thanks. The siezed spindles should be no match for a long bath in the parts washer.

No idea where the 26 dis comes from. Sounds like a horrid carb (still struggling with my own DIS).

They are from some pre-71 845s and most 782s. I have found an even smaller 22mm Solex here (new!) but I doubt who will need it...

Back