Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Something brought a smile to my face.

Paul Narramore

pre-moderated
I took Renée down the M2 yesterday on the way to Lydden Hill race circuit to watch classic bike racing. A little noisy at speed with the front windows open so I took my hearing aids off and it was then acceptable. About 65mph all the way down with a few 70s as well. She seemed happy enough. Got tooted at by the friendly driver of a BMW118d (I wonder if he knew we'd bought one of those recently too) which brought a smile to my face. By the way, also at Lydden was scooter racing, something I'd not come across before. In my youth I owned five Lambrettas, not a lot special about them, but I'd never seen them ridden as fast nor corner so enthusiastically as yesterday. Very entertaining to watch. £17 for seniors to go in - hence I guess the sparse crowds - seemed a little steep though.

Before I took mine off the road for restoration I kept two pairs of ear defenders in the door trays -One pair for me and one pair for my passenger. Over 30mph would have me reaching for them !
Hopefully some new sound deadening and all refurbished running gear will have a positive effect. Would be interesting to compare notes with Petaks scientific approach .
There is a patch of anti slip (I assume) surface on the main A11 at a crossing point near us that is markedly quieter surface no matter what car you are driving. It's a ribbed surface and all the ribs are aligned with the road direction. I wonder why all roads couldn't be made this way?

Once I've carried out adjustments to the valve clearances plus another oil/filter change, and having given up hope of an alloy rocker box, I'll be looking into some sound deadening. My ex-Chinook helicopter high density foam is running out and my son has since left the RAF. At the Bromley Pageant I saw some material - which looked expensive - which was a foam/lead sandwich which looked the business. With a pair of 145x13 tyres on the front and ancient 135x13 on the back, I shall go for 145s all around. Some tyres are much quieter than others. A friend came round lunchtime and told me his '4 Season' tyres were far quieter than anything he'd tried before. It seems people now have summer tyres and winter tyres these days - another thing which is new to me. Door trays? I am looking for some plastic buttons for mine. They don't seem to be listed in the massive der Franzose catalogue.

Hi Paul ah yes the odd shaped plastic buttons that hold it to the door. I will have same prob as I broke several getting them off. And frankly they are one shot devices anyway. Not that I have compared yet but my local car shop has lots of little red blister card packs that have fittings very similar I reckon there might be a replacement there. Or would a pop rivet and washer sort it ? (Keeping fingers crossed I will be asked to help out at Car Fest South)

I have just received an email back from der Franzose to say these 'buttons' are unavailable.

It's possible I won't fit my door 'buckets' cos they are far too efficient at collecting junk for me and may opt to stuff all that stuff in my pockets. Mind you it is good for about 10 cans of Beer. If I do decide that I could send some. I shall be going to the ball (car fest) no doubt there will be lots of stalls there. Will take a pattern and get some if I can . Yes very possible a fur tree fixing would do it. The only reason the originals are shaped as they are I guess is so that it can be 'key slotted' on and off.

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 1
Much obliged. I have refitted the drivers side pocket using just the two end self tappers but the proper buttons would make it more secure.

Back