Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Sound deadening.

Cornish4

Le Dazzleur
Can anybody advise me as to the best product to use for sound deadening in Marigold. The main noise I would like to reduce is from the stainless exhaust system that was fitted a few months ago, it sounds nice, and I can just about live with it but my better half said she needs ear defenders, and on a resent trip with a couple of friends the one in the back said it was very noisy back there. Also since I've fitted the bigger carb I'm driving the car a bit harder, I just can't help myself :), so this doesn't help. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers Brian.

Yes I have the best solution. A material called Hardura. For sale by Martrim or Woolies Trim. 3 or 10 mm thick ( I use 10mm) horse hair type product with a black crackle finish coating perfect for the classic Renault.

Used in most 60's British cars

Hi Mike, I know the stuff you mean, but had no idea what it was called or where to get it, so thank you for the info. Cheers Brian.

Pas de problème. Santé

Hi there David, did you get any details of the type of sound deadening Rob fitted to his van?

Blimey, it must be as quiet as a Roller now. I would just like to hear a bit of Classic FM on the radio.:D

Hi Andrew, hmm good point that, need to get some woofers. I've found some under carpet insulation material that's just 2.2mm thick that's also self adhesive.

I am planning to use this
http://www.kflex.com/products.asp?p=5&pp=44

10mm sheets with adhesive on one side for easier applying for roof and all sides
6mm sheet with alu back side for floor. On this sheet i am planning to glue 1or 1,5mm rubber to look like original (as closest can be)

Maybe there are better materials but unlikely available in Croatia.
People use this in other cars for same reasons and they are pleased with effect.
I must see what benefits will bring in R4

My goal is just to lover noise on high speed little bit. So I can talk to person sitting near me while driving 90-100KMH (55-60Mph)
If it helps to keep car warmer during winter would not be down side :)

Hi petak, that looks just right for the job, I have found similar products over here, and like you, apart from the radio I would just like to be able to talk to my passengers without shouting at anything over 60mph.

The unfortunate thing about sound blocking materials is that their maximum effectiveness is proportional to their mass (science!) so you must compromise silencing with added weight. And of course they're useless unless your door gaps are well sealed!
I'm interested to hear about the results though.

Hi Tom, I get your point but I'm just trying to remove some of the exhaust noise so I'm going to experiment with under carpet insulation for now and add to other places if required. It might be a waste of time and money, we shall see :)

A three pronged approach is often recommended to sound treatment.
1) Damper applied to panels to reduce their resonance by increasing mass a bit. You don't need lots of this. Often just strips of this are needed. dynamat / second skin / max mat - butyl based products with aluminium constraining layer. See sounddeadenershowdown.com for more info.

Then some absorber to, well absorb the sound i guess. A sheet of open cell (or is it closed cell?) foam is often used for this.
And finally a layer of barrier to block the transmission of whatever sound remains. I'd say the existing rubber mats would do here.

If you are going to put a sticky backed foam material over the roof or floor surface it might be worth applying some damper material first whilst you still can.

Good luck

Thanks for that Nicky, you raise some good points there. The only tricky bit is the roof, I don't really want to disturb the headlining so I will see what the results are once I've tackled the floor and sides. I'm not going to get too carried away though, don't want to add too much weight as Tom pointed out.

Try this website www.sondor.co.za/. They're South African but their product is perfect for doors and roofs. Perhaps you have something similar in the UK?
It's the same product that you would find inside a life preserver vest. So if it ever flooded your car would also float.:D

Last edited:
Thanks mojobaby, some interesting products there, but not sure I need buoyancy for the 4, although in view of the recent weather it might come in useful. Now where did I put that outboard?:D

Malcolm used a felt type horse hair material in his gordini. Might be worth a forum search

Back