Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Sunroof for Renault 4

RichardIRL

Enthusiast
Has anybody tried putting a Twingo sunroof on the R4?

They seem to fit better on the R4 than the webasto ones, which are too short for the length of the roof.

There is an electric panoramic one from the Twingo too - Does anybody have experience of how well this fits?

• topanoramique8iw8.jpg
    topanoramique8iw8.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 893
  • tn_forum_7tsm52-4-20110515-162344.jpg
    tn_forum_7tsm52-4-20110515-162344.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 882
  • r4_toit_ouvrant.jpg
    r4_toit_ouvrant.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,004
I have two friends from Belgrade who fitted Twingo sunroofs on their R4's. They say it was a straight job and that it fits well.

reno2.jpg

17052011.jpg

Hi,
I'm only slightly confused!. The fabric one in the photo's is a Twingo sunroof?, as is the glass one?, you would like to fit the glass one?.
Sign me up for a fabric one please!, but where can you get them?. I've been thinking of fitting a sunroof to my TL ever since I got it, but really want the full length one rather than a Webasto MGB or similar fitment. Any ideas?, where can I get one? scrap yard? Maybe when I'm at the meeting at Thenay?.
Alan.

Hi,
I'm only slightly confused!. The fabric one in the photo's is a Twingo sunroof?, as is the glass one?, you would like to fit the glass one?.

Alan.

Both of them, the glass and the fabric, are from a Twingo Mk1.

There are plenty of them on leboncoin.fr

Bison may have a problem though! As Far As I Know, both the glass and Fabric roofs are made by Webasto! The glass one on Judiths latest Twingo certainly is!

Hi I met a french man at Reims this year who had fitted a fabric twingo sunroof in his 4.
He is going to Thenay.
Gary

Sunroof at Thenay

If anyone going to Thenay has a Twingo fabric sunroof they might part with please contact me, I think it would be the iceing on the cake for my little TL!. :)
Alan.

Just a thought... is it possible that Renault may still supply? Assuming it was an official part. How long since Mk 1 Twingos were made?

... and yes, I'd love one too!

I need one more car to bring home the pieces I'd love to collect...
An engine, for example...

LOL, I'd be up for putting a sunroof on BB, my parents had one on their original 4 and the 6 they had afterwards, it made the car a lovely place to be!

But having had both types of sunroof on our twingos, I'd go for the fabric one every time! It is an ace design, it clicks back half way or can go all the way back. The glass one by its very nature is only a half way opening.

Twingo sunroof for a Katrelle

Hi, I had a stroke of luck today. I found a phase 1 twingo with a folding sunroof, in A1 condition, at the car breakers. I, had a few tools with me, so removed it, and now have a sunroof and all the fittings, ready to install in my R4 GTL.
Question: how far forward ( or, back) should I locate the front edge of the wind deflector, to get the best fit?
The Twingo sunroof has a rubber seal, but getting it to "mate" with the R4 roof seems problematical.
Any ideas please?
SeaKayaker, In France

Alternative Sunroof?

I've been doing a bit of looking and wonder if a more available option (at least in the UK) is to use a folding sunroof from a 1994 - 1999 VW Polo Openair? It looks pretty similar (though possibly smaller?) than a Twingo roof and is apparently electric. Fortunately the Polo roof looks pretty flat so it might be possible to get one to fit into the raised section in the R4 roof...

Hi,

a question for SeaKayaker. Please, if you can tell how much money was it?
Interesting to benchmark with the prices from here.

Thanks.

I've been doing a bit of looking and wonder if a more available option (at least in the UK) is to use a folding sunroof from a 1994 - 1999 VW Polo Openair? It looks pretty similar (though possibly smaller?) than a Twingo roof and is apparently electric. Fortunately the Polo roof looks pretty flat so it might be possible to get one to fit into the raised section in the R4 roof...

The VW Polo sunroof is made by Webasto and is available new from them. This sunroof is not as long as the Twingo sunroof, which seems to cover nearly all the raised area of the R4 roof

I have an electric sunroof from a Citroen Open Scandal (yes I know, who thought up that name?). It looks to be the same as the VW one. I haven't got round to fitting it yet but placing it on the roof it looks to be about 4" shorter than the Twingo one.
Alan.

Twingo sunroof for a Katrelle

Hi Allez-y,
I paid 50 euros for the complete sun roof, including the interior trim pieces.
Maybe I need to take some cardboard back to the car breakers, and take a template for the cut-out and the holes. They did have an electric glass version for the same price, but i liked the folding type. I have yet to fit it! Though it was 29*C here today, so would have enjoyed the ventilation.
Just been looking at your club website: Some great pictures!
SeaKayaker,
in the south of France

thank you for sharing info and for visit our website. Interesting and nice place for all ex-yugoslavia people as our languages are very similar.
I am going to buy a folding one here, as it's more attractive and favorable to me too. Price is 60 euros. Will let you know the result soon..

i have a complete roof with sunroof from a twingo. its very long for the r4 IMHO so a polo or mini option (shorter) may be better. i have not fitted it yet but i intend to use the outer frame as a template so other people can use it to help fit their own sunroof. i got it from a breaker near glasgow for £60, they do come up now and then....

steve

Hi Puddlefluff,
If you haven't fitted it yet and would be interested in selling it whole I might be interested in buying. Pm me if you want to talk terms or text me on 07765 713967...

Regards

Back