Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Sunroof for Renault 4

Sunroof has purchased. 60 euros! for all, don't forget to ask for the front wind spoiler and interior pieces around the hatch when buying sunroof. hopefully, this late summer is still working for me and will allow a feelings of drive with the wind in hair..

Who has actually cut the hole in the roof? Did you use a jigsaw? Did you take a template from the donor vehicle? And mark out the hole and drillings? Or make a template from paper/cardboard from the new sunroof?
I would be interested to know what you did, before I actually cut into the roof of my Katrelle.

many thanks,
SeaKayaker

In the good old days I've used a jigsaw. But these days I just use thin cutting discs on my angle grinder, soo much neater and tidier!

I mark out a template from the sunroof in cardboard and tape it into place on the roof, oh and as Mike says its Quatrelle as in quatre for four! :)

Sunroof fitted!
After several hours of 'work',
I now now have a super panoramic sunroof on my 4 GTL.
What a stunning transformation to an already great car.
Many thanks to this forum, and the donor Twingo!

SeaKayaker

• No going back now!.jpg
    No going back now!.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 242
  • Trial fit of new sunroof.jpg
    Trial fit of new sunroof.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 327
that looks amazing! I'm sure that everyone is going to want one now. Enjoy watching the clouds!

Great! Good work done. One minor comment about position. You could place it a bit more to the front, around inch more. Then, this wind spoiler would be bonded just to the roof. Never mind, looks really nice and exotic at the end, even better than at twingo (apologize to all twingo owners). Suited better for R4 definitely ;)
Hopefully, my will be installed by end of october..

Hi allez-y, Good comment!
Thank you, but don't worry, the picture was taken with the sunroof just resting on the roof, none of the alloy frame or nuts fitted. The front edge does seal against the roof now its all fitted. I'll post another picture as soon as i can. Another warm sunny day here in the south of France, the roof was, of course, open, all day.

I bought a couple of new tyres today: "Kormoran" brand, made in Serbia!
32 euros each.
Many thanks for all your feedback,
SeaKayaker

Hi iMacThere4iAm,

The strange sun-visor with lights, was fitted by the previous owner........

In the dark, with the lights on, the front view of the car does make it appear much larger.

When I get to respray the car in the spring, I will no doubt, have to remove the offending item!

SeaKayaker

Hi SeaKayaker,
this brand belongs to Poland manufacturer ex Stomil factory. As many of those brands now belong to Michelin group, one factory in Serbia (owned by Michelin too) produce Kormoran among others. Price is ok and almost the same as here.
In Serbia unfortunately some people still buy used tyres aiming to make some savings, but in fact no savings at all... I vote for the new tyre always rather than to some much better brands used.
Good choice and wish you good and safe driving.

Time to fit the interior trim.
Having cut (to clear the dome nuts etc), and refitted the original headlining. I discovered, by a stroke of luck, or, renault design, that the twingo headlining just clipped into place, covering the fixings. I am quite pleased with the result.
SeaKayaker

• Original headlining cut and fitted,   Twingo trim  being offered in place..jpg
    Original headlining cut and fitted, Twingo trim being offered in place..jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 412
  • New sunroof with original and new trims in place.jpg
    New sunroof with original and new trims in place.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 396
Hello friend

Can you please tell me how did you protect the roof from rain/water? Some silicone or? Did you just screw the roof to the car or?

Thank you

Twingo

Snailshed,
I emailed these people who have the Twingo on Ebay twice, at least six months ago, No reply.
Alan.

An alternative source

Hi Bison, yeah I tried emailing him about three weeks ago and he said he had sold it.

The thread inspired me to hunt out a Twingo sunroof anyway and much to my surprise I found one on ebay France that not only was not too expensive (more than Allez-y's but I didn't think too bad), but the vendor was also prepared to mail it to the UK, and at a price that seemed so reasonable I had to check his figure was right!

It needs a few minor repairs here and there, like a couple of broken poprivets in the frame but for under $200 euros delivered I have a Twingo sunroof that will be perfectly serviceable (unlike the car its for that currently is in the midst of restoration) once cleaned up. Its also massive when you sit it on the roof of the car and pretty much covers the raised central section, although when open the sliding parts that collect at the back come forward about 18 inches from the back of the raised bit.

If anyone else fancies hunting for one on ebay France (where the French tend to respond to questions more than Leboncoin) just type in:

'Twingo toit ouvrant'... Good luck

Hello Amil96,
I first applied some anti rust paint to the cut edges, and then used some aerosol paint.
The twingo sunroof frame has a rubber seal sitting in a groove in the outer aluminium frame, which seems to have made a good seal when I tightened the inside aluminium frame in place. I did not apply any sealant to the joint, in case i want to remove it at some future time. I did apply a dab of sikaflex 11FC to seal the old radio aerial hole (that hole is now hidden on the outside by the wind-deflector, and by the interior trim on the inside). Some heavy rain here, a couple of days ago showed no signs of any leaks......
SeaKayaker

Time to fit the interior trim.
Having cut (to clear the dome nuts etc), and refitted the original headlining. I discovered, by a stroke of luck, or, renault design, that the twingo headlining just clipped into place, covering the fixings. I am quite pleased with the result.
SeaKayaker

The Twingo covering looks very nice. I bought a Twingo sunroof and I plan the installing to my R4 too. The Twingo covering is very good idea for me :D !

Greetings from Prague. Pavel

just bought this from ebay 300808254750, nice guy too. has a new twingo door going for free if any one is interested.

Back