Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Technical Help Please

Simon Knight

Enthusiast
Hi all,

Can I use Semi synthetic oil in a GTL or should I use the old fashion mineral oil?

What anti freeze/coolant should I use?

Do I need to use petrol additives, lead replacement and/or any other?

Any advise would be much appreciated,

Cheers Simon.

Which engine do you have? In our 1108cc, I've always used 15w40 semi-synthetic. It was a while since I replaced the coolant, but it was the standard blue type. I don't think that additive is necessary, but I do use Castrol Valvemaster (not the Plus Version, which is also an octane booster), especially for longer trips. A search on the forum might help to identity the right coolant.

If 850cc, 20/50 is the correct grade. Doesn't have to be expensive so long as you change it and the filter regularly. 1108cc : see jjad's post. R4 engines were all designed to run on horrible 1960s French unleaded so no additives needed. Antifreeze: I ran my last R4 for over 100K miles on bog-standard supermarket antifreeze (albeit mixed at 33%) with no problems.

If you're new to R4s you need to be aware that their engines were designed to be absolutely bomb-proof in completely cr*p conditions as regards petrol quality and climate (hot or cold). So they don't need coddling or require special 21st-century fluids. Just regular maintenance.

Hi jjad and benchseat, thanks for the replies. It`s an 1108 engine and as I use semi synthetic in my other car I can use the same in both which makes life easier. I had a quick look and it seems Castrol no longer make the Valvemaster but alternatives are available. Thanks again.

Cheers Simon.

If the engine's not been run for some time or you're not sure when the oil was last changed it might be worth running some flushing oil through it before putting the fresh oil in. Having drained the old oil out, put the sump plug back and add flushing oil to the "max" on the dipstick. Run the engine for about 20 minutes or so on tick-over, NO FASTER and then drain out the flushing oil. You'll be amazed how much more "stuff" comes out! Then change the filter, put a fresh washer on the sump plug, fit it and add the new oil to max on the dipstick. Run the engine for 5 minutes, switch off, let it stand for 20 minutes & check the dipstick again, topping up as necessary. It'll sound MUCH sweeter!

Hi Andrew, the car has only done a few hundred miles since the last MOT in December, so not been run much this year but the previous owner changed the oil every 3000 miles. Still flushing the the engine isn`t going to hurt, thanks for the help.

Cheers Simon.

Hi Simon - be prepared to buy some 20w50 (semi-synthetic or mineral), as that is recommended for my 1984 1108cc motor. I used 15w40 for a while but the oil pressure was very low at tickover, and the warning light started coming on which worried me !

Antifreeze 50% with water to prevent corrosion and freezing, nothing special needed.

You are lucky to have such a conscientious previous owner!

Hi Adam, thanks for the advice, I will start with 15w/40 but if I have the same problems as you I will change.

Cheers Simon.

I'm running 20/50 oil in my 1108cc Gtl engine.

The manual says several grades are suitable -

Must be pretty good as passed MOT this morning straight through with an emissions test pass at only 0.12% if that has any bearing on it

• IMG_7368.JPG
    IMG_7368.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7367.JPG
    IMG_7367.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 2
Where do you put the coolant? Is that a daft question? Sorry.
Also the water pump bottle near the bulkhead has some lovely cream sludge in it .... any suggestions?

Where do you put the coolant? Is that a daft question? Sorry.
Also the water pump bottle near the bulkhead has some lovely cream sludge in it .... any suggestions?

Not wanting to alarm you, but I think you are in for a head gasket replacement.
If you look at the oil dipstick or at the oil under the rocker cover you might find some mayonaise to.
changing the fan belts won't do it anymore.

good luck.

Not wanting to alarm you, but I think you are in for a head gasket replacement.
If you look at the oil dipstick or at the oil under the rocker cover you might find some mayonaise to.
changing the fan belts won't do it anymore.

good luck.
Oh joy!

Back