Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Temporary loss of power...

Chris Litchfield

Enthusiast
When driving home last night, Mildred lost power temporary.

I was driving at about 50 mph when it happened. She lost power and slowly reduced speed. It lasted for about 10 seconds and then she picked up again and drove normally for the rest of the journey (about 10 miles).

I was wondering if this could be the start of another condenser failure? The last two times that has happened she has jerked before a sudden loss of power and then conking out, so am not sure if this is the same.

Any ideas?...

Cheers

Chris

When driving home last night, Mildred lost power temporary.

I was driving at about 50 mph when it happened. She lost power and slowly reduced speed. It lasted for about 10 seconds and then she picked up again and drove normally for the rest of the journey (about 10 miles).

I was wondering if this could be the start of another condenser failure? The last two times that has happened she has jerked before a sudden loss of power and then conking out, so am not sure if this is the same.

Any ideas?...

Cheers

Chris
Stick a little electronic ignition unit on it and throw that condenser away! I'm really sold on mine. It's the little green box smaller than a matchbox attached to the coil. The points are still used (for the time being anyway) the points simply supply a pulse. There is no tension across them so they don't wear out electrically nor do they need adjustment

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 2
Had a similar experience last week on a dacia Shifter pickup some one had used an oil cap instead of the correct vented fuel cap
Loss of power uphill then gradually came back again
Be aware that not all locking fuel caps are vented which r4 needs

I personally think ignition related temporary power loss will result in unburnt fuel igniting suddenly when sparks return again
Usually coughing and banging through exhaust

Blocked jet in carb
water in fuel
Blocked filter
Dodgy fuel pump all sound more likely to me
Ps jonathon if you use the electronic ignition which relies on points for trigger
You will still get the plastic heel wearing on the square lobes if you fit fibre heel points and quality condenser reliability is not an issue
Have also had the tension springs snap on poor quality steel particularly on femsa setup
Don't think it will run at all like that even with electronic system fitted ☺☺☺☺

Had a similar experience last week on a dacia Shifter pickup some one had used an oil cap instead of the correct vented fuel cap
Loss of power uphill then gradually came back again
Be aware that not all locking fuel caps are vented which r4 needs

I personally think ignition related temporary power loss will result in unburnt fuel igniting suddenly when sparks return again
Usually coughing and banging through exhaust

Blocked jet in carb
water in fuel
Blocked filter
Dodgy fuel pump all sound more likely to me
Ps jonathon if you use the electronic ignition which relies on points for trigger
You will still get the plastic heel wearing on the square lobes if you fit fibre heel points and quality condenser reliability is not an issue
Have also had the tension springs snap on poor quality steel particularly on femsa setup
Don't think it will run at all like that even with electronic system fitted ☺☺☺☺
Hi Paul thank you ...I'm sure you're right. I do have a little sensor to fit so I can dispense with the points altogether. Just that it's all going I don't want to disturb this side of the Mot . Will post how I get on

Hi Paul thank you ...I'm sure you're right. I do have a little sensor to fit so I can dispense with the points altogether. Just that it's all going I don't want to disturb this side of the Mot . Will post how I get on
Going to check my new der franzose locking fuel cap too !

Hi guys.

Thanks for the advice. I have some time off work this week, so going to take a look at the points you suggested Thursday/Friday.

Cheers

Chris

Back