Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Thinking of replacing my Clutch plate. Daunting or what.

Sprackers

Enthusiast
Hello chaps its been a while,

Christine passed her MOT but the clutch slips more than Tourvil and Dean, and I only just got her home.

Without going into too much detail initially, what are the problems I will encounter if I decided to tackle this job myself.

for instance can I do it without taking the whole engine out?

All the best

Sprackers (and Christine)

Maybe it is possible to change it without removing engine but for sure you will be in tight space.

It looks much easier to take whole engine out

Alternatively book your car in with Mr Reno and pay him to fix it. He's less than an hour from you. (Tunbridge Wells eh? Another Kent owner).

You don't need to take the engine out.
Changing the clutch itself is straightforward; the difficult part is getting the gearbox out to gain access to the clutch assembly. I'm sure forum members will have different opinions as to what needs removing, but if you don't have access to a lift, removing the bonnet and radiator will allow you to work comfortably from the front of the car (although removing and replacing the gearbox can be hard on the back!).
You can either remove the driveshafts completely, or just disengage them from the box - this does leave them waggling about, though, and leaves you with less room to work.
Disconnecting the exhaust from the manifold makes it easier to jiggle the engine up and down.
You might have to remove the steering rack to allow the box to come out; if you do, there are shims behind the rack which must go back in exactly the same position. If you're not careful, they can fall out before you've had a chance to make a note of their position.
You'll need a centralising tool to help fit the new clutch plate - an old gearbox shaft is easiest, but some clutch kits come with a plastic tool for this. If the disc is off-centre, it'll be impossible to get the gearbox back in - and bending forwards with a heavy gearbox isn't much fun!
Oddly enough, refitting the nuts on the clutch cable can be one of the fiddliest and most frustrating parts of the job.
Make sure you replace all three parts of the clutch - it's not worth going to all this trouble just to replace the disc.
It's a satisfying (but tiring) job to do as long as you aren't in a hurry. Best of luck!

Yes exactly as Andy says no need to take the engine out, i've just done one on a GTL, taking off the bonnet, steering rack and chassis crossmember (under the gearbox) and removing the drive shafts it is a lot easier and te satisfaction that you've done it yourself :) good luck.

It is possible to take the gearbox out without removing the engine to. You can leave the steering rack in place to if you have a TL with a 845cc engine.
You need to loosen the engine mounts and completely remove the front gearbox mount.
Take the driveshafts out of the gearbox after removing the oil. Then remove the lower crossbar from under the gearbox.
take off all bolts and nuts that hold the engine and gearbox together and lower the gearbox and take it out from under the front crossmember. If you have the whole gearbox out of the car. You will have easy acces to the clutch and clutch plate.
When you are done you have the satisfaction that you did it yourself.

Last edited:
Wow Fantastic help all of you. I reckon I'm going to give it a go. I feel confident that because you have done it before I think I can do it. I have time and tools and as Bobble said "Satisfaction Ive done it myself"

One question Ive looked at Melun REtro passion and its says two diameters 160 and 180. Cant find in Haynes anything pertaining to diameter of clutch plate? Any ideas Where I can find the correct diameter?

Hi, if you have a 850cc it will be a 160mm and if it's a 956cc or 1108cc it will be a 180mm, and as harbourseal says if an 850cc you can remove it without taking the steering rack off.

go ahead and good luck :laughing:.

Back