Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Time to visit the tyre shop

Richnd1974

Enthusiast
Morning All
It's that time that I need to visit the local tyre shop to get the nearside tyre replaced and the tracking adjusted.. I have a worry that they have probably never seen an R4 in their workshop, putting the car in the air on a 4 post drive on ramp doesn't worry me but lifting it on a two post ramp with swing arms does - should I give them any specific lifting tips, for example do not jack on the sills ! but jack/lift on the chassis legs only ? just want to make sure they don't bend my motor !

Cheers
Richard

Look in Haynes manual there if a section dedicated to this and an illustration of a wood post to spread the load.

Hi Richard, if the garage use their two post lift it's not a problem. There just need to place the lifting pads under the chassis where the cars scissor jack normally goes and everything will be just fine. No worries:laughing:

All good, new tyre fitted for £35 and now nice and legal again, they attempt to track the car but it was having none of it... and it's well out hence the tyre scrubbing. The track rod ends are nice and seized as I thought they would be so I shall need to replace both sides. So started looking for a replacement set..Ordered a new set from Mister Auto along we a new clutch and rocker head gasket.... looks like I shall be copying Sprackers soon :-)

They may well not be very old and had they been fitted with copper grease as they should be you could adjust them

All done, tracked up and driving as it should

• 20170705_131451.jpg
    20170705_131451.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 1
Has anyone bothered to drill and tap tiny threads into the bases of these so grease nipples can be fitted? They would last forever then.

Back