Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Torsion Bars

Steve Kerr

Enthusiast
Hi, I'm new to Clementines having bought the multi coloured Gordini engined R4 off ebay.
Its now sitting on R5 Gordini wheels and I'd like it to sit a little lower. I saw Jo Whileys baby blue GTL lowered right down, but I'd probably only want to go an inch or two either end. Is it an awkward job? I saw the article on unloading the torsion bars just to remove them. Is there anyone in or near Bristol who could lower it?
Regards, Steve
View attachment 17491

• R4 Side.JPG
    R4 Side.JPG
    245.7 KB · Views: 10
It's a personal thing, Steve, but I hate it when cars are mucked about in that way. I love the soft squidgy suspension of both my 2CV and R4GTL and cannot see why anyone would want to spoil it. If I wanted mine more sporty I'd have bought a sportscar. One day I'll actually visit and cross the Clifton suspension bridge. There was a fascinating documentary on the bridge just a few weeks ago.

What you mean Paul? The 4L IS a sportscar no? -just missing all the silly spoilers wedge-shapes and air-intakes -Reid.

Hey I like that car! Saw it on eBay myself . Hope it really is as rust free as the ad suggested . Very interesting project :laughing::clapping:

What you mean Paul? The 4L IS a sportscar no? -just missing all the silly spoilers wedge-shapes and air-intakes -Reid.

Reid

When I was 21(49yrs ago!) my first car was an 850 Mini to which I fitted 6Jx10 banded steel rims. The number of times I had to replace the poor wheel bearings. Nah, I've never been into customising old cars or motorbikes although I often admire the skill and workmanship. I just don't see the point. Mind you once I've painted the terribly rust wheels on my R4GTL, I intend to fit 145x13 tyres instead of the original 135x13 tyres (sharp intake of breath!)

Hmm Paul like you I love the soft squishy ride . BUT if I had a Gordini engine then WOW I would definitely lower it. Faster performance would absolutely require good handling not leaping over hollows and humps. There is another forum member on here with a lovely grey one that's been lowered... Maybe you should look him out Steve His name is Andy Rosson and he is very enthusiastic about the performance he has arrived at by sucessively lowering the suspension and testing

Hi, I'm new to Clementines having bought the multi coloured Gordini engined R4 off ebay.
Its now sitting on R5 Gordini wheels and I'd like it to sit a little lower. I saw Jo Whileys baby blue GTL lowered right down, but I'd probably only want to go an inch or two either end. Is it an awkward job? I saw the article on unloading the torsion bars just to remove them. Is there anyone in or near Bristol who could lower it?
Regards, Steve
View attachment 17491
Hi Steve how are you doing with your beast ? Very interested in your car

Its going well thanks. Just out of the paintshop. I still have the interior to do. Carpets, new doorcards and I'd like to recover the front Gordini seats and rear tartan looking bench in the same material.
Thanks for interest

Back