Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Towing with an R4 GTL - input welcome

Should one tow with an R4 ?

• Total voters

Suffolk789

Enthusiast
I am having a towbar fitted to my R4 and my question is what weights can one tow with an R4 ? ... indeed should one tow with an R4 ? I have just sold a towbar. The person I bought it from only ever used it as a rear bull bar to protect the car. THOUGHTS WELCOME : ))

I don't see why not. As long as you keep within the towing weight limit for your model and drive carefully.

(One of the Renault 4 handbooks I've got unhelpfully says to "consult you Renault Dealer for details of what weight your vehicle may tow". An earlier handbook, which only covers the models with 782cc and 845cc engines, says that the maximum unbraked trailer weight is 300 kg.)

Hi Suffolk, if you check out the pictures taken at Thenay this year you will see a couple of F4s, one towing an Eriba Puck caravan, and the other a trailer made from an F4 van. Now some might say, oh maybe they've been modified with a bigger engine, and this might be so, but in the time I've had my 4s I've seen many of them towing trailers etc, and with standard vehicles.

Look in the back of your manual. The towing weights are set out, I tow an Erin's Puck caravan . It does the job very well though is on the limit with all my sandwiches and beer inside !

• IMG_6263.JPG
    IMG_6263.JPG
    203.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5963.JPG
    IMG_5963.JPG
    206.9 KB · Views: 0
I think my F4 behaves better towing a small trailer that is well loaded, than just carrying its max weight, or what I put in it , which is probably more than it should be.

We made this photo as a tribute to Christophe Goujon. Never drove a meter with this combination.

But I do think the F types are more comfortable with some load in the back.
Towing a small caravan is ok with a GTL. I think anything more then 400kg is madness.

DSCN0512.JPG

It doesn't look big, but it's very heavy. It's a central heating burner that should weigh over 500 kilograms, plus the weight of the trailer. I towed it for a distance of some 30 kilometers. No issues at all, even with the Jogging's tall gearing. The trailer had no brakes, I was cautious and braked in anticipation, but I didn't notice any fading or other problem.

Back