Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Troubles

Sutree

Enthusiast
Hello Gentleman´s
I´m new here. I bought recently a beautiful R 4 GTL from 83. A dream i had in year´s.
I´m trying to do my own mecanic for the first time.
I think my r4 is leaking gear oil, so i change the oil with gl5 because my gearbox is HAO and i found a bolt close to the speedocable unscrewed, so i thought it was there the leaking and i screw the bolt, and now don´t read the kilometers and the pointer on the clock doesn´t move. Before i do this this pointer works in a shaking way. I unscrew the bolt for the original posicion but it don´t works... What can i do now? Maybe i have done some damage in the speedocable?this bolt unscrew it´s a kind of affination? how can i check it? Can someone help me with any advice or tips?

Here is a photo after i scre the bolt:

• kilometros.JPG
    kilometros.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 9
Hello Sutree, welcome to the forum, and the wonderful world of Renault 4. I think what has happened is when you unscrewed the bolt the speedometer cable has lifted and has become disengaged from the mechanism in the gearbox. Unscrew the bolt and try pushing the cable back, you will hopefully feel it re- engage, and then re-tighten the bolt. The oil leak is probably from the gearbox end cover.

Hello Sutree
The bolt that you show in your photo is the correct one for the speedo cable.

if you unscrew it you should be able to pull the cable out. If its a bit stuck, spray some WD40 in there and try to clean it. Old oil and dirt are probably holding the cable in place. Just give it a hard pull and wiggle it a bit.

Also once you have the cable free, try to lubricate it by spraying some oil down the cable sleeve. Also clean around the area where the end of the cable fits.
The end of the cable fits into a gear, so make sure it is properly seated when you reinstall.

Good luck!

(Snap Cornish!!) Again!

Cornish and mojobaby thank´s for the tips, i will do it soon! Maybe i can fix it like you told. I was scared if i had broke the small weel or buterfly (i don´t know the name) inside the gear box while i screw the bolt. So there´s no problema screwing this bolt? right?

Thank you all.

Hi Sutree, you have to unscrew the bolt a little to take out the cable.

The end of the cable fits into a nylon bush. When you pull the cable out, put your finger on top of the bush and hold it down while you pull the cable.

If you don't hold the bush down it will come out with the cable.

Then clean inside the hole, put the cable end back into the bush and press it down into position.

Then you can tighten the bolt again, but not too hard. Just so the cable stays in place.

Hi mojobaby, I will do it like you told when i got time. I´m afraid i had screwed to much the bolt and have done some damage inside the nylon bush. Soon i will checked and tell how it looks. Thank you again!

Hi there! Finally a had time to fix the speedcable. It was hard at the moment because the cable disengaged at the dasboard, but with a litlle help of my wife i put it right in place, then i checked it if it was breaked with a drill and the cable run perfected. So i engaged again and it´s pretty fine for the moment. In any case here´s a picture of the nylon bush after i puch the cable off. There´s some steal snack´s because i screw to much and damage the end of the cable. But it´s ok now.

• IMG_2662.JPG
    IMG_2662.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 6
You're welcome Sutree! I'm glad you've fixed your problem

Beautiful car you have, she's in such good condition:)

Nice one!

Is that respray? As i do not remember there was black R4!

Looking good in black!

Hi Petak, I think the r4 were just made with light colors, white, beige, light blue ... I bought this one in black, and I think it looks great, unusual! She is all paint in black, the older color was red , i don´t know the original color...she looks good but I think i will find some hidden rust like most of all, i don't see for the moment. I'm starting now my first adjustments. Thank you for your reply!

Black isn't an original R4 color but it looks great allthough I prever original R4's and its color.
The original colorcode is to be found either on the front of the right-inner wing or on a smal aluminum plate right-upper side behind de dash on the inside.

If you see any old adverts for the Parisienne back in the 60s, these beautiful cars with their tartan or basket weave trim were quite often painted black, with lots of chrome, and a gorgeous lady posing for the camera.

If you see any old adverts for the Parisienne back in the 60s, these beautiful cars with their tartan or basket weave trim were quite often painted black, with lots of chrome, and a gorgeous lady posing for the camera.

Thanks for that Brian.
Please post pics of gorgeous lady (any colour car will do !)

I don't think it's an actual black, nowhere I find a black colorcode. Think it's more a kind of dark-green or black indeed but than only for marketing purpose...pfff marketing....the one thing that destroys reallity.

Definitely black. I've seen some at 4L International at Thenay, and I think anybody restoring one would paint it the original colour, bearing in mind the value of these cars now. But I do take your point about marketing.

I have had a few different colours back in the day (70's early 80's). Dark green, Bronze! light blue and I did have a black one. It was the original colour and very shiny.

Back