Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

VIN number

nickharman

Enthusiast
Im trying to get full details of my R4 to get parts etc

The VIN number comes up with R4 but says it was made in 2005 but in fact it was made in 1984

Other search sites simply deny the VIN is valid, but I am looking at a sharp photo of the VIN plate so I know it is correct

The car itself is in France and I am in London at the moment

Anyone know a good site to enter the VIN into?

Nick

I am afraid that all those sites will not give you real info as they do not cover old VIN numbers.

To identify your car there are 3 plates you need to find.

Oval plate where VIN number is, production number (actually serial number of the car - give you factory where your car is made and date when your car has made), sometimes colour code, equipment code.

There is engine plate somewhere around oil filter (for 1108 engine) on engine block.
Give you what engine you have and his production number (sometimes there are small differences on same engine but with older or newer production number)

And there is gearbox plate on one of the bolts that holds cover plate on gearbox.
You will find out model of gearbox and production number.

Hi Petak, probably a stupid question but how can you tell where a car was built from the no`s on the oval plate? I can`t look at mine at the moment as the car is covered up for the winter.

Cheers Simon.

Simon Knight...i believe that you have got your answer from link that jjad put.

I was little bit unkind presuming that everyone know how those numbers look like.

Production number starts with letter which according to renault's logic identify factory where car or engine is built

Here are mine plates

"oval plate" witch actually is not oval
R4 GTL - pločica.jpg

On the left you can see vin number in two rows.

On the right (in oval) first number is model number 1128
495 is color code for my car
and last number Y124549 is production number of the car
Others numbers are some kind of equipment codes. I presume they are telling witch part of europe (or world) car is made for, what kind of upholstery car have, lower or higher interior equipment. But not sure. Just my thinking

Engine plate from my car
P1040866.JPG
first number is engine code
second number is production number

gerbox plate
this one is not from mine car but from gearbox i would like to get for my R4
HA1.jpg

number that is written in a circle is gearbox code
number written in line is production number of the gearbox

Hope now is little bit more clear about all those numbers

Cheers!

A lot of information can be obtained from the VIN, a lookup through a so-called online VIN-checker only costs you money.
The plaque losange (rhombic plate) and the rectangular plate contain the VIN info, the VIN is also stamped in the chassis, left hand side on the mid cross beam.
The oval plate contains the factory model info and extra's and options and maybe more...
And there's a later plate model the plaque unique as Petak showed :) which is a merged version of the rectangular and oval.

Have a look on this site, its about Renault VIN explained but not completely.
http://renaultconcepts.online.fr/ressources/codes/codes-vin-auto.htm
It's in French but mighty google translate will do.

This site gives online Renault VIN info but again not complete.
https://vindecoder.eu/renault

Cheers, Joop

Last edited:
Thank you all for such detailed replies, I knew what some of the no's were but was interested to know where mine was built. Will check the production number for the letter code next time I get the car out.
Cheers Simon

Back