Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

WATER TEMPERATURE GAUGE FOR 4L

freelancewriter1

Enthusiast
Has anyone experience of a temp gauge for a 4L please?

Slightly wary of temperature after broken thermostat caused blown head gasket problems!

Trying one of these chinese things but not easy to find a place to fit them?

Are there any other renault models with hoses for sender units?

Thanks
freelancewriter in France

If you have a recent water pump (same as R5 version) it has a tapping for a water temperature sensor. You can get the R5 sensor from a motor factors, but I'm not sure how to identify the right gauge to go with it...

I put a temp gauge on my r4, usually they come with their own sender... I had a hole made on my original water pump and threaded; when I changed carb for the 32 one I bought another pump too, with holes for carb water hoses, and it came with a 3/4" hole in the center, I think for the r5 temp sensor; bought a reduction and managed to have the hole redrilled and threaded to be fitted by the sender.
Very often the upper radiator hose is cut to fit a joint with a sender hole, but I do not like to have my sender after the thermostat...

There are temperature gauge kits available here, from Spanish FAE, that have a "contact" type sender. It does not need a tapping breaking into coolant, only to be bolted externally on a reliable flat place. This can either be the water pump backplate or the sheet metal blanking plate at the rear of the head.

There are temperature gauge kits available here, from Spanish FAE, that have a "contact" type sender. It does not need a tapping breaking into coolant, only to be bolted externally on a reliable flat place. This can either be the water pump backplate or the sheet metal blanking plate at the rear of the head.

Very interesting... Like this one:
http://www.autospark.eu/valve-switches/temperature-switches/35120-fae
?

But what kind of gauge should I use with this sender?

Yes, this is the sender. FAE make a complete kit, gauge, sender and connectors. This is the best way to go because you know that sender resistance matches the instrument.

The other way would be to find a secondhand gauge of a known make and ask for a sender to match it. Veglia Borletti (should be easy to source in your country) or VDO are fine instruments. Just make sure you get the correct sender.

Usually when you buy a gauge you have the sender included... So it was when I mounted it on the '91 white one. Now I'd like to mount another gauge on the '75 export too, and not to have to drill anything to host the sender would be appreciated... maybe I will try to put a T before the thermocontact on the water pump!

Thanks, looks good. Where would you attach it?

I would put it on the back of the cylinder head where the plate is.....choose one of the 2 top bolts and put it in there..it will show the temp in your cylinder head and should be just behind the water jacket

also there is this adapter to "cut" into your radiator hose on ebay 190896748826
then just buy a ? BMC Mini temp gauge and a BMC Mini temp sender unit or similar so they match up...........my thermostat was removed and not replaced like most vehicles here in Cyprus, we dont take the chance of them failing in the Mediterranean heat :cool:

• hose adapter.JPG
    hose adapter.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 4
This adapter is useless if you have a thermostat (it should be fitted after it, so you will not be warned if the thermostat fails).

I have never had a problem with thermostats in our equally hot climate. It made no difference when I removed it (as expected) so put it back in.

This adapter is useless if you have a thermostat (it should be fitted after it, so you will not be warned if the thermostat fails).

I have never had a problem with thermostats in our equally hot climate. It made no difference when I removed it (as expected) so put it back in.

Thanks Angel, I know if the thermostat is fitted this type of system will not warn you of the temp in case the thermostat fails but I want a temp gauge fitted and the sensor in the R4 will not operate a gauge. With the thermostat removed and this "in line" pipe and sensor at least I will have some idea of the water temp in the engine........I also have one of these oil pressure "sandwich" ordered to put between the filter and the block to be able to fit an oil pressure gauge and oil temp gauge.........It even allows for an oil cooler to be fitted !!
I was going to put a "T" piece in but the space between the engine block and the chassis is too tight :(

• oil.JPG
    oil.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 2
I would put it on the back of the cylinder head where the plate is.....choose one of the 2 top bolts and put it in there..it will show the temp in your cylinder head and should be just behind the water jacket

So Andy (I know this thread is a tad old now) the sensor is actually bolted to the cylinder head and measures the temperature of the outside of the cylinder head rather than the coolant inside the engine? If you have an R4GTL, what does the gauge read on a warm day? I know you have warm rather than hot days as many years ago I was posted to HQ UNFICYP on the old Nicosia Airport weeks after the Turkish invasion. :-)

There seems to be different water pumps between the cars and the earlier models have a hex nut in the water pump for a water temp sensor. I've had a look at the water pump on my 1986 GTL but that nut doesn't exist, and I cannot see anything similar. Has anyone else here fitted a water temp sensor to their late model R4, into a threaded hole, and show me where the tapping is? Ta.

(Later) Doh! I've just seen Jonathan's post earlier this month, on the same subject.

(Even later) Solved, I think. I nipped out in between the showers and had yet another look at the water pump. The are two plugs that a can find. A small one on the top (about as big as an old sixpence) and a larger one facing forwards and under the pulley, which will require an Allen key of about 6mm. I think this is the one where a sensor will screw into. So I wonder what size female thread that has?

Last edited:
Back