Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Wear Front Tires

Tripyrenees

Enthusiast
Hi Guys
It has been a while since I have been on the forum and touched our little 4L although we have been using at our daily driver for the past year since the restoration.

But I have not been happy with the handling and will be working on that. When inspecting the front I noticed a very uneven wear on the front tires - these were brand new 1 year ago.

So what could this be - I am just about to change out the rubbers on the front anti roll bar to try and correct the handling issue - could it be that?

IMG_1762.jpeg IMG_1763.jpeg

Will be on a lot more now as my Son is just starting his preparations to enter the 4L Trophy for 2016. His little 850cc TL is going to be transformed..... it seems.

If it's inside on both front tyres as it looks like, I would say check the tracking first.

It can only be tracking - the adjustment of the track rod ends on the steering rack currently making the wheels point outwards at the front and they need to be adjusted inwards a bit. Worth checking all of the ball joints in the front suspension to make sure there is no movement and then having the tracking adjusted.

I think the correct tracking is to make the distance between the front of the wheel rim between 0mm to 5mm greater than the distance between the rear of the wheel rim (2mm or 3mm is even better). You can make up a tool to measure this, or for the Renault 4 you can make a reasonable guess by making sure the front and rear edges of the front tyre line up with the edge of the rear tyre when you look from the front.

Rightio - will get on with that. It is annoying as I paid Norauto to do the tracking when they put the tires on last year.

Just put my new alternator on - now I have a charging battery.... second hand from the scrapyard a year ago was false economy :(

Rightio - will get on with that. It is annoying as I paid Norauto to do the tracking when they put the tires on last year.

--- :(

Norauto clearly have done a very poor job of the tracking then. You should talk to them about that as it's cost you a pair of tyres - unless you've done huge miles in the year since fitting.

Back