Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Welding and is it worth seam welding my sills......photos

Sprackers

Enthusiast
Hi all,

IVe bought a Renault 5 to add to my Renault 4.......

Welding. I know nothing about it.

I saw some rust on my sill so stripped it back only to find a right bodge underneath. ovelapping bits all spot welded.

There isnt much rust and was wondering if I got someone to seam weld all the sit would help in structural integrity and general rust prevention?

I dont have much money so replacing and whole sills would probably be too much at the moment...

any help would be apprectiated

Sprackers

• 2015-11-23 11.56.32.jpg
    2015-11-23 11.56.32.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 2
It does look especially poor. The rusty metal is probably still behind and will form a double skin which traps moisture and speeds up the rust. It would be better to remove the patch, cut away the rusty metal behind, then seam weld a new patch in place.

I was going to clean out inside the sill through the hole. brush rust out. spray rust converter inside. Then spray Waxoyl inside then weld the seams then fibreglass over holes, prime it, paint it.

I know the cleaner option would be to cut away all the sill and weld a new sill on but I have no idea how or where or even if a good sill exists then I still have the problem of welding and cost.

I know you ar right option 2 is more........

Thank you for invaluable advice. Welder wouldnt like that.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more.....(back under the car scrubbing old rust of Ruth)

Ther more I investigate I think Malcoms advice seems the best way forward. cut out replace patch.

Would it be more advisable to siurce a new sill and cut out a larger pice and weld a new sill?

Back