Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

What have I done! (R4 GTL)

No Mojobaby....speakers are on the shelf under dashboard on left and right side as i could not get right size one to fit in center.

Sutree...radio is brand new but with old-ish look. When it is turned off than it looks like on pictures, but when you turn it on than lights and display start to shine and blink and you definitely know it is new radio. I searched for some oldstyle radio with mp3 player but others i have found (BECKER for instance) are 400-500€. and i would be afraid to left that expensive radio in R4 even if i manage to get that kind of money for car radio.

This one is reasonable price (cca 130€) car radio that looks old as rest of the car.

It is AUNA TCX-1-RMD radio.
Bought it over Croatian online shop and paid in kunas (Croatian currency) but it came from Berlin, and company is located in Berlin.

If you are interested you can try to search it in Google (or some other tool) for Portuguese on line shop that sells same radio. I am certain there is one.
Petak,

Thank you for your information, i will Google it, and see where can i find that on, or close to that one.

Thank you again

I think it is about time to add some small details i have been working on this summer.

It is not much, but make me happy.

First put rubbers on pedals. It is much less slippery now :D

IMG_20170728_183424.jpg

After that i finnaly "tide up" hood/bonnet to inner wings.

Used tin rope instead of cable
IMG_20170830_184941.jpg
IMG_20170830_184945.jpg
IMG_20170830_184951.jpg

And chose another location for booth light switch.
Also not best solution but will see how things will go on. I am affraid it will be accidentally pulled out

1.jpg

But, off-course, some modifications where necessary.

Switch was to long and i wanted to shorten it to minimize possibility for ripping it out.

4-1.jpg

Operation started
4-2.jpg

Cutting
4-3.jpg

What is left out of switch
4-4.jpg

Comparison (normal switch VS shorten one)
4-5.jpg

Made small bracket for it

2.jpg
3.jpg

First weld bracket to whole booth door holder mechanism but that did not go well.
I could not mount holder to the car because you need to wind holder spring by turning hand, and you can not turn hand because there is new bracket welded to the holder ( i hope someone will understand what i wanted to write :o)

So i decided to make threads.
5.jpg

And small headless screws
6.jpg

screws in place
7.jpg

Together with switch
8.jpg

Positioning, checking clearance and functionality
9.jpg
10.jpg

Marking twice - cutting once
11.jpg

Tool for the job
12.jpg

Holes and threads
13.jpg

Bracket screwed to it's place
14.jpg

Working position.
15.jpg

It is working nice and i still did not catch it and it has been 2 months now.
But again i did not put much staff in booth.

Time will tell.

Thank you for reading
:waving:

Great work, love the boot light switch. Id have done it with a weighted one on the boot lid myself, out of the way more. :)

How did you positioned it Pepper?

Actually switch it self does not bother much but wiring need to be tucked so it does not hang freely.

If get in trouble with this one will consider getting one of those!

There's still room for more olives Petak :)
I remember in my early years I drove on 1 ocassion with 10 people in my GTL.
Cheers, Joop

Yes, but no more olives at this sight. Only 5 trees and 200kg

There 5 of us in the car on the way home.

When i just got driving licence, we managed to put 8 of us in GTL. Funny drive it was

Temperatures are heading down to the 0°C and it is time for winter tires and clean original look for my R4.

Aldo there is no snow (and it is big assumption snow will not fall this year) temperatures are below 4-5°C in the morning and after sun goes down.
I am not "feeling safe" with my summer tires in that condition (especially if there is rain and bura-cold north wind) so i have put winter tires on.

One picture (pure and clean R4 GTL look)
IMG_20171128_155330.jpg

It has been awhile since i was here.

Actually nothing much is happening.

It has been quite cold here so not in the mood for any work.

Temp went down to -10°C and even little snow
02-2018 (1).jpg

Last time snow was falling 6 years ago.

Also past my third MOT in the row without any remarks.

R4 tehnički 2018.jpg

Brakes are same as first year. exhaust close to 1% CO.
Got tip that at 1%CO engine is running best and with lowest consumption possible.
Turned out 25000 km in two years.

Had some issues with brake light switch. It did not work every time i press brake.
Take switch apart, cleaned contacts and put it back together.
Now it is working flawless

IMG_20180117_161957.jpg

And my wiper motor stopped to work.
So i had to remove dashboard and change wiper motor
IMG_20180209_172738.jpg

Valeo one
IMG_20180209_172746.jpg

With sev marshal
IMG_20180210_142338.jpg

But now i have some issues with wipers. Wipers do not stop at the beginning (or end) of travel when i turn them of.
Before i have changed motor they did.

So now, when i put wipers on they start to go 10°in one direction and then to other direction.

I am not sure if problem is in wiper motor or i have just connected linkage and motor in some wrong way.

I am waiting some hotter days so i can work on it.

I have habit to write down all cost that i have put to a car, and once a year (somewhere after registration) summarize it.

So here are some numbers for 2017.

Spend 961,29 liters of petrol, spend 9022,14 kn(1120€) for it and made 15110km with it.
That would give me 6,36l/100km (37 MPG).
Not so bad but i think it can go down

Insurance and MOT cost me 2100kn (280€)

Service(oil, filter, plugs, points, kond, repair set for zenith28, vacuum unit, rubber bellows, alternator repair, lead adittive), car radio cost me 5024kn (670€)

In total one year life with my R4 cost me 16146,14kn (2070€) or 1345kn (180€) every month
And that would give me 1,07kn/km (0,14€/km or 0,20GBP/M)

Do you have something similar?
Would like to see your numbers if it is possible just to compare.

Comments are welcome!

Cheers!

I showed these stats to my wife and instantly her hair turned gray :o :laughing:
Hmmm about fuel consumption I remember in the old days my GTL with Zenith 28if did 5,0 l/100km on average and sometimes even better.
Higher fuel consumption today is sadly due by addition of ethanol...
Whenever my R4 is ready I will do statistics as well so be patience as it will be ready mere 2019 :whistle:
i poreze ... bez poreza molim :D

Last edited:
You are learning Croatian? Nice to here it!

I have heard stories about consumption of R4 about 5,0L/100km but never managed to reach it.
Lowest i reached was 5,3L/100km last summer when i was on long drive, and made 700km in 2 days, flat road, 70-80-90 km/h drive, 350km without stop.
And everytime i go for longer drive consumption is around 5,4-5,5L/100km

My summer average is 5,7-5,8L/100km

But winter average is 6,6-6,7L/100km. Lot of cold starts, with short drive (one-two-three km and then stop)

It looks like there is need to clean carb once a year to preserve consumption below 6L/100km

I am hopping to find time to open up main jet on carb for 0,05mm to get it to run smoother and hopefully will help to keep consumption below 6L/100km

Everything else is set as best as possible (timing, pipes, reduction in pipes, vacuum unit, electronic ignition, distributor, plugs)

Yesterday went for bike ride at local XC winter league Dalmatia. Uphill to mount Kamešnica.

My faithful helper was with me.....it was nice to see that others are glad to see it on the road.
I did not take this picture. It is send to me by one rider from the race.

29066321_2051189535097341_3167530084121318531_n.jpg

Back