Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

What's this?

jjad

Enthusiast
Am I right in thinking that the block drain plug is the one I've circled in red? Thanks :)

[The green arrow is pointing to a drain hose as explained by Angel in this thread. I was going to ask what it's for, but then I found that thread!]

• gtl_mystery_hose.jpeg
    gtl_mystery_hose.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Hi jjad-I would be cautious unplugging this one as its easily damaged-in fact you do not normally have to unplug this one to give the old coolingsystem a good flush-If you don't open this one the goo will just come out elsewhere.....my opinion ofcourse
-I've never bothered with it as its in such a cramped place -R.

That's where I used to drain my cooling system. A tight fitting hex spanner is needed and a thick piece of wire to clean the glunge from the hole. Then you should see loads of rusty water come out if your system hasn't been flushed for a long time.

I was looking for that for the whole tuesday afternoon... According to Haynes description I was looking for it on the side of the engine, not at the rear of it...

According to haynes I fount It that, but I couldn't get it off. Just damaged the plug.
Did my draining through the bottom hose of the radiator.

This is the plug for completely draining the engine block, as there is some coolant in the block even after draining the system from the lower radiator hose.
The problem is, it seizes and breaks more often than not. It's a tapered fine thread and needs only little tightening to seal effectively. I have also found that PTFE tape around the threads helps undo it the next time.

Thanks for all your replies. All very helpful thanks. In the end I decided to just take off the bottom hose and give it two flushes just undoing the bottom hose each time. Didn't want to risk shearing off the block drain plug, overtightening it or getting coolant on to the timing chain. Also, it's not the easiest place to get to! Not much gunk came out, but coolant was 2 years old, so glad I've done it anyway.

It turns out that the hot running was because the timing had retarded due to the points wearing. All sorted out now :)

Thanks again for your advice.

I never "touch that" because being french and being so corroded and prone to snap, i always left it alone. I usually took the upper hose from the radiator and fed it with running water, with the engine running. Then I would clean the "goo" ( Why Renaults do this messy mud in the headertank, beats me...) washing it with a Karcher pressure machine, and fill the system with 50/50 antifreeze.

Every year, the "goo" would return...

Back