Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Window locks/catches R4 GTL 1981

thanks, have seen them, just wondered if any member had any spare that I could buy

If they had Malcolm, I would have jumped in a while ago as my car lacks both catches for the rear side windows. The next trick is to discover an adhesive strong enough to glue them to the glass. I take it you know there are stick-on as well as bolt-through catches?

If they had Malcolm, I would have jumped in a while ago as my car lacks both catches for the rear side windows. The next trick is to discover an adhesive strong enough to glue them to the glass. I take it you know there are stick-on as well as bolt-through catches?
After 30 years the glue slowly vaporizes anyway so I used a transparent 2 component (epoxy) glue brand Bison. Just make sure any old glue leftovers on the catch is removed and the window part is firmly degreased. Never use superglue or what ever, those products simply won't work.
Succes, Joop

I have used rear view mirror glue before......but eventually change all windows to hollow one and now i do not have problem with catch falling off.

Paul I have acquired a number of spares - there are window catches- I know most are bolt on but will have a look.

Greetings, i have successfully managed to glue them to the glass with regular glue, but i used sand paper on both, the glass with 80, and the catch with 120 gpm2. The catch is(no pun intended) to put sodium bicarbonate on the glue that is expelled out underneath the catch. I simply put some on the glass and mixed it with the glue around the catch. Add sodium at will, you can even add more glue and more sodium bicarbonate to completely surround the catch. It dries very quickly and becomes hard as a rock.
This method was tested on a friends R4 and it has been holding for almost two years now, mind you he's a smoker so he opens his window 20 times a day more or less.

Peace.

Back