Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Windscreen Wiper problems

Fernando

Enthusiast
Hello, my wipers system is not working correctly, When in the first speed
(slower) everything works great, but when I change to the second speed, they work slower and the system makes a noise like if it was frozen, and after 20 seconds it stops to work, but if I change to the first speed again it will work good again, can anyone give some help please? I need to understand what's wrong, if there's a motor problem, or some frozen parts after the motor.

It sounds like some kind of electrical problem, as opposed to a mechanical one. If the wiper mechanism was at fault the wipers would not work properly at both speeds but as they work normally at one speed and NOT at the higher speed the problem's in the wiring or the motor.

Check the wiring from the switch to the motor and check carefully for a short circuit to earth (any wiring that's worn and might touch the metal of the car, causing a short circuit.) If that's all O.K. you need to see how much power (amps) the motor is using when running on 1st speed; using an ammeter connected in series between the wiper switch and the motor measure the amperage when the motor is running at 1st speed with no problems. The reading should be about 4 amps and shoud remain steady as the wipers work. Now connect the ammeter to measure the amperage on the second speed; if it's suddenly very high (or off the scale) the motor has a short circuit and needs replacement or rewiring. In any event I wouldn't use it at second spped as there's a possibility of burning the wiring & a fire.

Back