Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

wiper travel

john murray

Is it possible to adjust the length of travel on the wipers on a R4 GTL? the one on the driver side stops and reverses almost inn the middle of the drivers line of sight - the parked position is not even on the bottom edge of the windscreen - so if I were to take the wiper arm off and reposition its parked position wold be halfway up the windscreen. - the problem is the travel is very short - \i presume there is a stop in the motor which determines when they reverse but is it adjustable? it would be a pain to get at anyway
Any ideas peeps?

Yes, it is adjustable. The wiper motor runs like any other electric motor and runs continuously in the same direction, wether clockwise or anti-clockwise-the motor DOESN'T change direction of travel every half cycle. The motor's motion is transferred to a bar which performs a sinusoidal (good word, that!) pattern in a horizontal plane; the wiper arms are attached to this bar and is is THIS joint which has probably become undone on the driver's side wiper. I'm not quite sure how to get to this joint but you'll need to adjust it to make the driver's wiper arm perform a larger arc then it is at the moment. If the passenger's side wiper is performing correctly then that shows the motor and the link to the other wiper is correctly adjusted and that you need to adjust the driver's side one. Any more advice needed just PM me!

Back