Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Zenith 281f

Foofighters 27

Enthusiast
Hi I'm going to fit my zenith carb on my 1975 845cc r4 ,would it be possible for anyone to send me some photos of where the hoses and pipes will go ??
Many thanks Mark

Hello Mark, I have a GTL but the carburetor is the same. It's quite straight forward.
In the first photo, the hose coming in on the top left is from the fuel pump. On the GTL the fuel pump is towards the front of the engine and the 845 has the fuel pump at the back.
The hose coming in at the top right comes from the rocker cover outlet. The reason why it is a large hose is because I have a different system in place, yours should be narrower. The T-piece has another hose attached to it that leads to the inlet manifold which you'll see in a later photo. Once again, your setup might be different but the principle is the same

DSCF6602.JPG

In the second photo, the pipe at the base of the carb comes from the distributor
DSCF6604.JPG
In the third photo, you can see the pipe that comes from the T-piece and enters the manifold at the base of the carb. Hope that helps a bit

DSCF6605.JPG

Silly question but surely 28if is standard on your car what's on there now ?

Hi it has on it at the moment an su carb ,it came with it on ,I've had the original refurbed ,by the way many thanks for the window screen
Thanks Mark

Do be aware that the 8mm bore pipe that goes to the Base of the carb needs a restrictor in it or else it will run terrible
supposed to have a 1.6 mm hole in a solid plastic piece in the rubber tube

img20150422_064552.jpg Thinking about it I've seen an 845 R4 fitted with with 32 mm solex carb was a P reg 1975
I thought had been modded using R5 845 manifold like this one I spotted at Riems auto jumble recently

The 32mm carb was standard for some markets (and lucky buyers!) before it was fitted to all 845s in 1984.

Thought that's what you would say
If you simply connect the small rubber pipe to the t piece on the larger rubber breather hose which goes from rocker cover to carb far too much air is drawn in to inlet manifold
This has been done many times as well meaning folks replace a perished one with a nice new part failing to notice the tiny plastic piece hidden internally
This will have been covered on here loads of times i will try and find a link as I don't have a part here to take pic.
Edit found this this http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/threads/no-tickover.6973/#post-42472

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips .
Ok so I'm planning a trip to Mallorca next year I need to get my r4 in shape for the trip ,could anyone tell me roughly how much it would be to refurb my engine ???
Many thanks Mark

Hello Mark, I have a GTL but the carburetor is the same. It's quite straight forward.
In the first photo, the hose coming in on the top left is from the fuel pump. On the GTL the fuel pump is towards the front of the engine and the 845 has the fuel pump at the back.
The hose coming in at the top right comes from the rocker cover outlet. The reason why it is a large hose is because I have a different system in place, yours should be narrower. The T-piece has another hose attached to it that leads to the inlet manifold which you'll see in a later photo. Once again, your setup might be different but the principle is the same

View attachment 13751

In the second photo, the pipe at the base of the carb comes from the distributor
View attachment 13752
In the third photo, you can see the pipe that comes from the T-piece and enters the manifold at the base of the carb. Hope that helps a bit

View attachment 13753

Hi, my plastic T-piece is broken. Any idea where could I get one? I checked out Französe and Melun-Retro but apperantly they do not sell it :(.

Back