Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

hubcap retaining bolt

billythefish

Enthusiast
Can any one tell please me the size and length of the centre retaining bolt that holds the hubcaps in place on my Renault4.
billy

I should have said, can any one tell me the breadth and length of the centre retaining bolt that holds the hubcaps in place on my 1971 Renault 4.
billy

M12x150 thread, 15mm length, 17mm spanner size.

It is not a DIN or ISO bolt, as all M12 ones have 19 or 18mm hexagons...so you need to carry an extra spanner.

Strangely I think two of the hub caps on our 4 have 17mm AF bolts. and the other two have 19mm AF ones. So the wheel brace fits two of them. My tip is always carry a small adjustable spanner, very handy.

I'm digging out this thread in order to share with you an idea that I had yesterday.

Hubcap bolts are getting harder to obtain in good condition, and there is no standard bolt in the market with M12x150 thread and 17mm AF hexagon, so we have to carry an extra 19mm wrench just for the hubcaps. Wouldn't it be nice if the wheelbrace could be used on both the hubcap and the whell nuts?

The solution is to fit a M10 Helicoil thread insert in the wheel center thread. Bonus is that the thread on the wheel is right for the M10 insert, so you don't need to own the whole kit or drill and tap the wheel. Just get a spare M10 thread insert (very cheap and readily available at industrial supplies shops) and screw it in the wheel. Now we can use stainless M10 bolts which are readily available, too, and have the 17mm AF hexagon, just like the wheel nuts.

Back