Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

What have I done! (R4 GTL)

Just noticed one mistake i have made in my report about yearly cost efficiency few posts up.

In Service amount (5024kn - 670€) i have accidentally forget to reduce insurance and MOT (2100kn - 280€)

So service (and improvement of driving experience in R4 ) cost me 2924kn - 390€
Out of that, necessary service cost me 1405kn - 190€
Other maintain and getting spare parts for future 1519kn - 200€

And played little bit with lights on my bike carrier, as lights on R4 are hidden when i put one or two bikes on it.

IMG_20180324_153136.jpg

Not quite happy with this lights as all LED bulbs are glowing when tail light are on, and when i press brake then same LED bulbs should light more brighter but that difference is so small that when is sunny day you can barely notice stop light. And i do not like that. Will try to modify it in such way that only one row is glowing when tail lights is on but all three rows glow when i press brake light. Hope it will be possible to do so

And we are back to summer wheels.

IMG_20180413_184434.jpg

we are having short sandy rains for last ten days so car is whole covered with sand...waiting for that rain to stop and than spend some time to clean it up and make it shiny again.

This past weekend was quite hard for my lowly toy....

A friend of mine was getting married past Saturday and asked me if i would drive him and his chosen one to the wedding.....

What an honor.

So i jumped in R4 and drive 1100 (and something) km to take newlyweds to next step in life

They were thrilled and i was happy to fulfill their wish for their big day.

For the end just two pictures of the car......

33083910_1641571115879048_4608594913284587520_n.jpg

33020051_1641571802545646_5811658176797343744_n.jpg

How wonderful! Your car looks the part and what are friends for? Well, that! Obviously

I am glad that there are other R4s used as wedding car.
It represent everithing that i like. Something different.

Asked newlyweds how come R4.
Whell. Groom is big fan of Renault in general, and bride did not wanted any fancy, big, luxury car.
So only solution was R4, and they remembered my R4 all shiny.

It has been a while since i done anything on the car

Recently had issues with box on doors that GTL model have.
It is quite handy to put allsort of things in it.

Issue was that two bolts that holds it in place are loosing up on their own from closing doors. Hols where tapper bolts go become little bit bigger during the years.

So i made some modification to it.

Welded M6 nut to small bracket, painted in black and make two additional hols for pop-rivets.

It looks like this
IMG_20180621_181932.jpg

Put small rubber between brackets and doors and pop-riveted it to the doors

IMG_20180621_182757.jpg

Holes on the doors (not so nice and neet but will do the job)
IMG_20180621_182929.jpg

Riveted to the dooors
IMG_20180621_184436.jpg

bolted boxes to the doors
IMG_20180623_133814.jpg

IMG_20180623_133841.jpg

IMG_20180623_133828.jpg

That is it. Easy job for big differance

Also modified led lights for my bike carrier so now i have big difference between normal rear light and brake light. Opened lights and changed resistor on stop/brake light line.
Now i am happy how those lights are working. Have one spare pair in box.

Now i am going to search for rear handbrake cables for my R4 as one of the cables run thru handbrake bracket in the car outher casing of the cable broke, probably because of to much rust inside cable.

It has been a while since i done anything on the car

Recently had issues with box on doors that GTL model have.
It is quite handy to put allsort of things in it.

Issue was that two bolts that holds it in place are loosing up on their own from closing doors. Hols where tapper bolts go become little bit bigger during the years.

So i made some modification to it.

Welded M6 nut to small bracket, painted in black and make two additional hols for pop-rivets.

It looks like this
View attachment 21145

Put small rubber between brackets and doors and pop-riveted it to the doors

View attachment 21146

Holes on the doors (not so nice and neet but will do the job)
View attachment 21147

Riveted to the dooors
View attachment 21148

bolted boxes to the doors
View attachment 21149

View attachment 21151

View attachment 21150

That is it. Easy job for big differance

Also modified led lights for my bike carrier so now i have big difference between normal rear light and brake light. Opened lights and changed resistor on stop/brake light line.
Now i am happy how those lights are working. Have one spare pair in box.

Now i am going to search for rear handbrake cables for my R4 as one of the cables run thru handbrake bracket in the car outher casing of the cable broke, probably because of to much rust inside cable.
That’s a good repair Petak . I deliberately didn’t refit my door boxes because I knew I would fill them with junk !

JonathanT....I keep my bottle of water in it during summer, and microfiber cloth for foggy windows during winter.
It comes quite handy. Now it wont fell off

Noting much is happening here. I am triing to find few days of for my R4 and put it in the garage as i need to do few small things on it. But car is constantly on the road.

To do list:
1.Must change handbrake cables as one on the car are not working at all. Bought some cheap ones from local carparts shop. Will see how long will last.
2.Must change speedocable. Buckle for cashing cable to the clock is broken and it is touching surrounding plastic and making noise. And speed needle is plaing to much up and down while i drive steady 40 or 50km/h
3. Change spark plugs form Champion 87YC to Equiem N43
4. Play again with carb as I had to change my NO3 carb for NO2 carb because it started to leek fuel significantly, But NO2 carn has poor cold and hot start, and idle is set to low. So it take to much time while i can push choke back and drive without choke. Start after car lay down for 10 to 30 minutes is pain. Always must pull choke. While on carb No3 during hot days like are now i could start car without choke after whole day in front of my office. and start after few minutes of was not an issue.
5. Inner door handle for opening passengers door is making vibrations in some point while driving downhill without gas. Must make some modification as this vibration will make me crazy
6. Need to change rubber mounts for exhaust pipe. They are so bad that i must change them at least once a year. Are there some other (better) rubber mounts available. Is there something better solution how to tighten exhaust pipe.
7. It looks like i have exhaust leak somewhere in the engine bay. I have bad smell inside cabin no mater if windows are opened or closed. Hoping it is because of poor rubber mounts of the pipes and joints are more flexible and leaking fumes. But would not be surprised if it is exhaust manifold gasket.

I tried harbourseals method of adjusting CO but it seems that my carb NO2 is unresponsive what ever i do with mixture screw.

All in all not any disturbing thing but i would like to sort them out.

In the meanwhile i keep hanging around with our forum members that are spending summer time at Croatian coast

BorgeB and his beautiful grey R4
IMG_20180708_160946.jpg

IMG_20180708_161008.jpg

And Otto96 with his screming yellow R4
IMG_20180725_211223.jpg

I made for him rear crossmembers for his newest rebuild

Only one is in the picture. He got second one also :D
IMG_20180725_181320.jpg

Unfortunately no!

My 95kg and 2m would be to much for that little pedal car.
It would be really shame to destroy kid's small R4.

But details are amazing
Details are truly amazing, that's a really nice pedal car!
Maybe installing a miniature F6 suspension and reinforced beams would solve the 95kg load :welder: :D

Petak thats all great to hear and so good you have a community of R4 friends over there. Im off to Hvar the first week in October so will be keeping an eye out for little R4's whizzing around

Back