Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

New Roadworthy Rules

mojobaby

Enthusiast
These new rules will definitely affect everyone who has a car registered in France and according to the pamphlet it will apply to everyone in Europe.

It says the European Union wants to halve the number of deaths on the road by 2020 compared to a 2010 report.

Compared to previous tests, the test that I had yesterday was extremely thorough and quite honestly a bit ridiculous. And I failed:(

thumbnail_IMG_6920.jpg

There are 3 Failure Catagories, Minor, Major and Critical

With a Minor Failure, your repair has to be made before your next visit. (2 years)
Major Failure, your repair has to be made within 2 months
Critical Failure, you are not allowed to drive your car until the repair has been done. You can drive it home or to a garage for the repair, but no more.

I was failed for a number of reasons:
My indicator flashes too slowly.
Stop lights-left side is red, right side is red/orange because its faded
Driver seat is defective, doesn't slide on its rails smoothly-this is a Critical Failure!!
Light cover above rear license plate is cracked and light doesn't work
Floor on passenger side is perforated. (4-5 holes about 2mm diameter)
Brake lines are weathered -small cracks in the outer cover)

But my Critical Failure is that front brakes are unequal and one side is weaker than the other. So as from today I'm not allowed to drive my car:ashamed::ashamed::ashamed:

Someone should tell them that the reason for the high death rate is because people drive like assholes:doh:

Pretty much the same in Sweden. But now for vehicles over 40 years or I forget the exact date, after your inspection it's the last one! New EU rule. Mine passed last year so it's inspected for life! One of the major reasons why I bought it. Never have to worry about that hassle or wondering what kind of mood the guy doing the inspection is in. At any rate, the guys doing inspections are getting younger and they really have no idea what their looking at anyway so it's just as good. Owned several classic cars..

.....There are 3 Failure Catagories, Minor, Major and Critical...........
........My indicator flashes too slowly......
The new mot rules in the UK have a similar system, with the 3 categories.
If they are trying to standardise across the EU, it's strange that they've failed your car on slow indicators:
It has been a requirement of the UK mot for years that they must flash at between 60 & 120 times per minute but now, in the new mot rules, this stipulation has been removed.

The new mot rules in the UK have a similar system, with the 3 categories.
If they are trying to standardise across the EU, it's strange that they've failed your car on slow indicators:
It has been a requirement of the UK mot for years that they must flash at between 60 & 120 times per minute but now, in the new mot rules, this stipulation has been removed.
Nothing too serious to repair and the car looks well worth the trouble.

Brandon, the guy told me that after 40 years I can claim historical status and then get tested every 5 years as opposed to every 2 years. I don't really mind every 2 years as I want my car to be safe. But then a little leniency should be allowed. There's actually nothing wrong with the sliding mechanism on my seat, I've just checked. Just some stitching has come loose on the seam, hopefully that wasn't the reason for failing.

Thanks Retro, my indicators are really slow, maybe 30 times a minute. Any idea how to speed them up. About 10 years ago I bought the flasher unit from Renault, that was before I realised what rip-offs they are.

Yes ggcton, she's amazing and I've started on the brakes already. Thank you

Regarding old cars and safety I trust my own judgment a heck of a lot more than some kid that I have to explain that 1st gear is not synchronized on an old jeep for example. Or some ridiculous hang up on how a seat slides for goodness sake.

And your beautiful car is light years better than mine!

The truth behind the "high death rate" that they want to reduce by not allowing people to drive a car with a slightly faded stop light lens, is that they make every effort to support new car sales.
It's the exactly the same with banning older cars from entering big cities, pretending they pollute more. Nothing could be furher from truth, and they know it.

I had read about the strict technical control in France, and was wondering if an act, like a protest or something from the numerous classic car clubs would take place?

I'm afraid that classic car organizations like FIA etc etc seem more occupied by banquets and Vip-stuff goings-on in Monaco etc
than getting into the nitty-gritty of the sleazy dealings going on in Euro-politics to save their fraternity-brethrens at WV/Merc/Porc
and others.
FIA is (still) wining&dining the politicians in a faint hope of greasing them up to cut us a little (seemingly)slack by slipping them cute
notes on how
many jobs and how much revenue the car hobby represents in each country.. In comparison to the tons of covered-up funding they
can expect getting for themselves or their pet-project out of the car industry -This won't do it!

-What we need is an Un-organized organized International action that involves all of us all over Europe driving at say 25km/h. for a
whole week
informing the politicians/potatoheads up front, that next time The Unorganized Event will go on for 2 weeks etc etc

Un-organized so that no organizers could be held responsible
Organized so all actions are coordinated,and we can all say (from the lowest seat position) looking up

"Sorry Officer..snivel dribble droop -Sir, I'm just out driving here all by myself -Sir,
I know Nothing of no action -Sir, No Siree"

I would've agreed with you re.action or protests in a sec.angel,but I think we'd have no options but to go Directly for the jugular vein
in the infrastructure for the in-powers to take any note.
Or else the rotten potatoheads would just extend their Free lunches until small action/protest is all over

Make No mistakes,This IS George Orwell's 1984 and it's happening as we speak! -Reid.

Yes, its incredibly difficult to sympathize with governments in Europe who spent billions in the 1990's, subsidizing and giving tax breaks to promote the sale of diesel powered cars. And now all of a sudden they've changed their minds after discovering that Diesel is a health hazard and a greater pollutant.

They were so worried about carbon monoxide that they forgot about nitrogen dioxide!

Thats the reason why manufacturers like VW had to cheat with their emissions testing-because they knew that it was an impossible task.

And as far as road worthy tests are concerned, it's not entirely true that the vehicles are the cause of fatal accidents. The old saying, "a poor workman blames his tools" comes to mind. My life is in jeopardy every time I drive to town. The cars have pretty much nothing to do with it, its the idiots who drive them.

Where is it written that the 5th person in the queue behind a slow moving tractor has the right to be the first to overtake. overtaking on blind corners, solid white lines and blind rises is pretty much the norm here.

Without any exaggeration, I have probably overtaken 15-20 vehicles in the last 10 years and most of them were farm vehicles. I usually drive at 70-80kph and people overtake me as if I'm standing still.
So no, Reid, I won't be joining you on your 25kph drive not with so many monstrous trucks on the road, tailgating me and breathing down my neck, but I'll certainly stand on the pavement and wave at you as you pass:clapping:.

And yes Angel, I agree, I don't believe that a slightly faded stop light lens is a concern, and I don't believe that a roadworthy control tester who is probably half the age of my car should even be touching her:)

Hi there mojo-I thought you'd be sitting round sipping a tall Ricard at this time of day c",)
-I hear it counts as one of the fives in France.
Lying and cheating comes So naturally to any politician,up here the road-authorities have what they call an accident-squad
which pops out of the woodwork if a fatal or serious accident have occured.
They crawl round like worms and then produce a rapport concluding the road itself was the direct cause of the accident..
-Then they keep the report to themselves-Even if appearing as expert vitnesses in court,they just sit on it
-informing No one!
Result: there are drivers convicted of killing or maimimg others -and jailed for it.

All the while the authorities knows Damn well the road/paving or other was to blame......

Trusting you'll be out and about in your 4 very soon mojo -Reid.

Last edited:
In the UK the MOT has always been quite strict.

These would always have been a fail in the UK, depending on the tester
- Drivers seat not moving
- front brakes uneven
- non working lights
- Stop lights-left side is red, right side is red/orange because its faded

These would be advisories if the tester decided
- Floor on passenger side is perforated. (4-5 holes about 2mm diameter)
- Brake lines are weathered -small cracks in the outer cover)

Recently tho in the UK cars over 40 years old now dont need one!
(But its up to the driver to ensure the standards are still met with harsh penalties if found not met)

Just updating this thread........

3 weeks ago I went back for my 2nd visit for my MOT and passed with flying colours:clapping:

I had replaced both flexible brake hoses as well as the brake cylinders. There was still plenty of brake lining on the shoes, so I didn't bother changing them, just cleaned up everything and applied some copper grease.
I also adjusted the brakes and tightened up the handbrake.

Initially I thought that the guy inspecting my car had an issue with the drivers seat not sliding easily, but it turned out that he didn't like the broken seam on my seat. I've been putting off repairing it, but now it is an "advisory" so it has to be fixed by the next MOTIMGP1636.JPG

The condition of your seat (as shown in your photo) should not be an Mot issue at all. There are set guidelines that mot testers must follow. Split seat material has nothing to do with an mot.

The condition of your seat (as shown in your photo) should not be an Mot issue at all. There are set guidelines that mot testers must follow. Split seat material has nothing to do with an mot.
I think he is being tested in France, not the UK

Does anyone have any ideas on what effect lead replacement additives will have to emmision levels, or is it just best to run this out of tank and do test with straight unleaded 95ron?

Hi Laxeian, lead replacement additives shouldn't make any significant difference.
Emissions tests determine the amount of pollutants your car produces, the pollutants being carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons (the amount of unburnt fuel being emitted)
Both of these can be relatively easily controlled by ensuring that your car is perfectly timed and your ignition equipment, such as points and spark plugs are in good order.

There have always been very interesting conversations on this forum regarding the use of lead additives, some swear by it and many just drive their cars on 95 unleaded. Personally I like the lead additive as I was told that it protects the valves from overheating.

Yes, ecurb.nots I tested in France- Controle Technique

I'm inclined to agree with Retrospecparts, there is nothing at all wrong with the seat. It slides perfectly on its rails, the open seam doesn't affect steering or braking or changing gears. The seat belt is also in good order and not worn. It's not a fire hazard (just thinking of every possible reason)

So why should a small opening in the seam be deemed as an advisory?

Quiet honestly I think I just got an asshole inspector who was having a bad day

Just about to get mine CT'd Mojo...big breath...yes sounds like you got an ab arsehole, there's a test centre in Cahors I know who's sympathetic with old cars. I'm getting mine on historic soon as she's jumped through this hoop!

Back