Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Water in the rear!

Jimthevan

Enthusiast
Hi - anyone suffer with water entering the internal structure of the rear door? When I lifted the tailgate up this morning water pored out from inside the door into the boot from two holes in the top.

I know we have had a lot of rain the last few days but not sure where its getting in? - rear window rubber seem all good

Maybe it entering in through the number plate screws or the latch - will have to investigate further

I do have that issue since I bought mine 6 years ago.
Honestly at the beginning I tought it was a problem of the rear window rubber as there was corrosion on the frame, but recently my father did some observations and I think the holes beneath the "RENAULT 4" badge are the real cause.

It's a common 'feature'. I'm not sure where it gets in, but as our R4 is garaged and not driven in the rain if possible, we've not looked too hard for a solution.

It could be around the window, or the hinges.

It's normally water making it's way around the rear screen seal. Try running windscreen sealant (the old stuff such as Screenseal rather than any silicone or adhesive based) and injecting it under the outside edge of the seal all the way around. Excess should come off with panel wipe and T-cut.

I’ve previously used ‘Captain Tolleys creeping crack cure ‘ with good results to cure leaks on older windscreen rubbers, easy to use etc. , but you do need to apply it when vehicle is dry and kept so for 24/48hrs for best results.

‘Captain Tolleys creeping crack cure ‘ :laughing::laughing:;) great name oooo eer - will look it up

TBH think its just the same stuff as the old windscreen sealant, but with the advent of bonded screens the old stuff that worked and came in like a 3 in 1 oil tin have just disappeared off of the shelves of motor factors, avaliable now still but for some reason branded to appeal to the ‘saltier’ seadogs, just lucky you dont have to queue and ask for it in a busy pharmacy;)

Back