Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4TL

Rogerg

Hi,

I have a 1990 Renault 4TL in Portugal where I have a holiday home. I cannot seem to control the heater controls. No matter what I try the inside of the car is boiling hot. Great on cold days. But not supposedly- though you would not believe it- in the heart of a Portuguese summer. Any ideas/ advice would be welcome.

get a plumbers hot-water shut-off ball-valve,cut hose from waterpump to heatermatrix (on top of motor) in two-insert
ball-valve ends into hose,clamp it using hose-clamps,close it alltogether all summer long and open again when it gets chilly
easy fix that works-and it doesn't effect coolant working and circulation through motor as heater-matrix is own circuit.
-R.

If nothing is happening when you turn the rubber knob controlling hot and cold, the screw which holds this in place often comes loose have you tried tightening this? Alternatively, take it off completely and try turning the metal shaft which is the exposed part of the heater tap to cold, place the rubber knob back on and tighten screw so you defintely know its in the off position. If the shaft does not turn the heater tap is seized up and will need to be taken off the heater matrix for further investigation.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Are you saying that when you rotate the heater control it has no effect? If so, then it sounds like the part has broken inside. See https://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/threads/heater-problems.9119/#post-61871

Hope that helps.
Hi,
Thanks for that. I took it to a Renault dealer in Portugal and it was simply that my positioning of the controls was screwed up. Stupido me. 'The 'blue' sign on the controls had worn and was not 'blue' anymore.The heat has not completely gone but it might because it's pretty hot where I am in Portugal at the moment!!

Back