Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

best oil for the job

over here in Norwayland we use oil from right outside in the North-sea which has been stored for Millions of year... All pun intended!
If your Duckham oil has been stored as you say in sealed containers there is NO danger using it.. Even if stored in subZero temp OR in
cozy temps in the foot-end of your bed under the duvee No problem..oil will not be damaged or degraded as Both high and low temp
IS the intended environment for which oil is intended to be used.....

Stored for millions of years, yes, but since then treated and with other chemicals added which can degrade and separate out of the oil itself, making the oil unsuitable for it's designed purpose.

Stored for millions of years, yes, but since then treated and with other chemicals added which can degrade and separate out of the oil itself, making the oil unsuitable for it's designed purpose.
Thanks chaps. Yes, it's the additives that worry me. I'll keep one tub to keep my oil can topped up (should be ok for door hinges) and chuck the other. As someone said, it's simply not worth the risk.

Motor oil is not milk and will not expire after time. Especially if it's kept in a sealed container. I would use it.
TOTAL Lubricants says:
"Under optimal conditions (stored in the original, unopened containers at moderate temperatures), motor oil usually remains stable for an extended period of time. There should not be deposits on the bottom of the container. You cannot redissolve the deposits by simply shaking the container. The oil has to be replaced.
That said, an engine oil’s properties are best if it is used within two years. After that, we recommend replacing the oil."

However, ELF Oil says:"You are probably wondering if you can still use cans of oil which seems old: the oil is usable as long as it is sealed, stored in a cool dry location and no water or dirt has gotten in the bottles. "

The funny part is that Elf and Total are essentially the same company!

Eccles60 was talking about Duckhams 20W-50 mineral, not some fancy synthetic stuff full of additives that may condense and/or separate from the rest of the oil.

If it were my Duckhams oil it would certainly get used, i am still using a can of 60 year old 5 gallon tub of Century Oils grease which I received form my father when he no longer needed it, waste not want not. Or perhaps i am just a bit careful with money.

The funny part is that Elf and Total are essentially the same company!

Eccles60 was talking about Duckhams 20W-50 mineral, not some fancy synthetic stuff full of additives that may condense and/or separate from the rest of the oil.
That's an intriguing idea, but I just looked up Wikipedia (sometimes more trustworthy than our lovely politicians), and they say:
"Nearly all commercial motor oils contain additives, whether the oils are synthetic or petroleum based. Essentially, only the American Petroleum Institute (API) Service SA motor oils have no additives, and they are therefore incapable of protecting modern engines. " (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_additive ) It's funny stuff, is oil.

I'm even more confused than normal. If I decant the oil and it doesn't seem separated or contaminated, do I use it or not? Zinc seems important, does Duckhams of 2006/7 vintage contain enough for my humble GTL?

The old R4's use mineral oil as synthetic didn't really exist in those days, so the old R4's can perform well using Extra Virgine Olive oil, or for higher temperature tolerance even peanut oil ;).
Just kidding, just use that old mineral oil grade 20W50 is fine for all types R4.

There is a famous urban legend about two guys travelling in the '60s through Africa on a 2CV, breaking the crankcase and losing all the oil, and making it back by filling it with squashed bananas!!

I use a valvoline mineral 20W-50 at 21£ for 4 litres, and have not had any high oil-consumption or other issues between 104000km (when I bought it) and the current 137000 ish km. Only thing I've noticed is that it was very sluggish when starting at wintertime last year, but it has only behaved like that 1 out of 5 years :dontknow:

Back