Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Headlights

Thank you retrospecparts.....my mistake for not pointing out that links are just to show difference in two bulbs.....Believe that in Lithuania are car parts shops were bulbs can be bought much cheaper.

Mr-reno-139....have those adapters for "normal" H4 bulbs with P43t base but had to adapt them to fit my headlights, and spotted small "problem"

As you put adapters, that are 3-4mm thick, then focus of the bulb is 3-4mm out of headlight lens focus and you have big round black spot in center of illuminated part of road.
That is why H5 bulb (H4 bulb with P45t base) is better solution....still adapters can work if you are not driving to much in the dark

Here is one internet photo of different bases,
View attachment 16414

In addition to my previous post and center of the focus in headlight will put few pictures to see what i was talking about.

I have bought adapters for H4 bulbs (P43t base) to fit R4 headlights.
Adapters look like this.
20161105_234553.jpg

Adapter with H4 bulb and P43t base
20161105_234525.jpg
20161105_234512.jpg

And with them you get this kind of illumination on the road
20161104_200151.jpg
You can see two big black spots in the middle of lights.

Here is illumination made by H4 bulb with round base (p45t)

20161105_173304.jpg

Spot the differance....

Hope this info is helpful.

Hey guys I have read just about every thread on headlights. This one is as close as it comes to info I need but I am still confused. I have a 1991 Lider that I have in Colombia.. it was an import from France according to the documents I got with the car. I have terribly dim low beam headlights and have extended my options in Colombia as far as purchasing an upgrade. I am currently in the USA so I do not have the car here for a reference, but I need to know which base my headlights have.. the p43t or p45t, because I want to buy new bulbs here in the states before I go back to Colombia next month. I want to buy the brightest bulb I can find since driving in the Andes is always a thrill especially at night in a storm.. on low beams I can't see much at all no matter conditions, and on high beams I blind oncoming drivers, so I need to do something here. Seems something is wrong but I have no idea what. Knowing the base I have would allow me to take new bulbs with me in July to upgrade the car. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

It sounds like you need to buy a couple of P45t halogen bulbs. These are rated at 60 watts main and 55 watt dipped beam and have a circular base, so ought to fit into the bulb aperture in your car's headlight unit. In the U.K. these are the brightest bulbs normally fitted to cars. If you're fitting these bulbs the wattage are higher than the car originally used, so higher power levels flowing through the switches might cause problems. My advice would be to fit a relay, thus allowing the 12 volts to flow directly to the bulbs from the battery, without any resistance in the switches. It's possible there's a resistance in the car's wiring making the bulbs dim, which is worrying and might cause a fire.

If you need more advice, just ask! Unfortunately Columbia's a little to far from north London for me to travel to assist you in person!

It sounds like you need to buy a couple of P45t halogen bulbs. These are rated at 60 watts main and 55 watt dipped beam and have a circular base, so ought to fit into the bulb aperture in your car's headlight unit. In the U.K. these are the brightest bulbs normally fitted to cars. If you're fitting these bulbs the wattage are higher than the car originally used, so higher power levels flowing through the switches might cause problems. My advice would be to fit a relay, thus allowing the 12 volts to flow directly to the bulbs from the battery, without any resistance in the switches. It's possible there's a resistance in the car's wiring making the bulbs dim, which is worrying and might cause a fire.

If you need more advice, just ask! Unfortunately Columbia's a little to far from north London for me to travel to assist you in person!

I really appreciate this reply.. I had never known of a relay.. after researching them I realize that as you suggested this is the answer. The electrical on this car has been messed with a bit over time, this relay kit I found on Amazon should do the trick. What do you think? Seems the common problem is length of the cables on these kits but a Cuatro is so narrow I should be fine. I will take a relay kit and bulbs to Colombia with me. Awesome easy solution. This forum has been really helpful over the past 2 years. I really appreciate the help!

https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Re...ateway&sprefix=headlight+relay,aps,129&sr=8-5

Thank you for your kind comments! I'd also suggest you fit separate fuses in the circuits, to protect the wiring and the relays. 2 main beam bulbs at 60 watts each make 120 watts, which is exactly 10 amps (120 divided by 12=10). I would fit a 15 amp fuse in line.

Hi guys..
Can anyone advise how to remove glass from frame of headlamp?

• far.JPG
    far.JPG
    293.8 KB · Views: 4
Put it in thinner over night and it will soften sealant around glass.

There is small dent at glass edge that must be alligned with buldge at metal frame. That way lines on glass will be positioned good for legal cut of the headlights.

Why are you wishing to open the unit in the first place?
rust/corrosion inside Headlight..I'm seeking advice to fix this (and prevent in future)...
I'm thinking of opening up the headlights and seeing where needs a nice gentle clean up and after that re-paint the corroded reflective areas.

Razrjeđivač za boju. Nitro bolje radi.

Sorry to other for using Croatia language.
GRENUJ will understand it.

Or heat it gently round. Better if you have a hot air gun.

I tried it, but that gasket is like cement..
@angel , how much time should i heat it?

• parkside.JPG
    parkside.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 2
I heat it with a blowtorch for about one minute, moving it quickly around the headlamp. I have opened many headlamps that way, broke only one glass when I insisted at one point.

It will take some time to do this with a paint stripper.
first cut as much of the glue away on the top and the sides of the glass. Then heat the headlight for some time moving around the rim.
Take a hammer and break the glass if you get fed up:whistle:;)

Now serious. take a hammer and put it on the bench with the handle facing upwards. After heating put the handle trough the hole that holds the bulb and push. If necessary heat some more and push a bit harder until the glass comes away from the mirror.

https://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/threads/changing-headlight-lenses.8766/

Last edited:
Back