Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Ethanol and fuel hoses

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
Anyone up to speed with fuel hose materials? We were told to upgrade to J30 R6 spec but I'm having to replace mine again after maybe 8 years. I don't think it's done very well. Came from the local motor factor so ought to have been reputable.

• 20200927_200849.jpg
    20200927_200849.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 0
Some dissection of the pipe suggests the splitting was only at the ends where petrol won't have reached and the splits hadn't got as far as the sealing surfaces.

There seemed to be some jubilee clips securing the pipes. Oops. This might be my bad. I shall replace those with your actual fuel pipe clips and re-route the pipe to make it more accessible. Pipe maybe shrinks a bit after a time. The fuel pipe clips don't seem convincing at first but they will tighten as the pipe shrinks.

Cohline 2240 is 100% ethanol compatible - ie can be used with 100% ethanol, plus any other fuels. Highly rcommended by many classic car buffs, and lovely to use as well. Used '8mm' (actually 7.3mm but a perfect fit) on my Scimitar.

For those who don't know - ethanol is the petrol additive now in unleaded at the pumps, at 5% but rumoured to be going up to 10% at some point. The ethanol is to improve the 'environmentalyness' of the petrol, but attacks old rubber without fail and can create other cloggage problems too. Additives to your tank can counter the ethanol attack and water accumulation but new pipes, diaphragms and any other petrol-exposed rubber is probably better in the long run. Hopefully new carb rubber bits and so on will by now be ethanol-proof, but some petrol hoses are not :dontknow: Millers Oils VSPe Power Plus fuel additive is reckoned to be good - octane boost, ethanol protection, lead additive.

Last edited:
Rubber can also perish with Ozone oxidation, which is harder to figure out. I bought a new tank hose and filler cap washer which perished and split within 6 mths, OUTSIDE the petrol area like Malcolm's mention above, due to ozone oxidation I conclude.

have posted this info on here b4 but they are worth mention again: The Only hoses approved and to be used with ethanol are marked:
NBR-PET-CSM
FKM-PET-CSM
DIN 73379 TYPE E
ISO 4639 TYPE 2
SAE J30 R7
SAE J30 R9-11
-Don't be talked into bying others-dealers have rolls of old stuff they like to sell you to get rid of old stock. Refer to list and if they can't
or wont supply GO ELSEWHERE!

-I see the Swedes are to introduce minimum of E10% E from this year -as if E5 isn't BAD enough! -R.

Back