Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1962 one-owner R3 for sale

What a find!

An original unrestored Renault 3. How often do those crop up? It'll be fun to watch the bidding after the Dutch spot it. :D

What a lovely little thing. It makes you think how do cars end up like that, the circumstances that lead up to them just being unused for many years. And all the other undiscovered gems that must be out there.....

What years were the R3s produced ?.How about a guess at what price it makes ! my guess is £2100 .Money well spent in my opinion.She seems to be missing a few bits [door cards and wheels trims but beggers cannot be choosers with cars like this .

The R3 was only produced for the 1962 model year with 2,500 odd being produced.

The door trims and hubcaps are not missing, that is how they came, no interior trim, no hubcaps, no load compartment mats. The doors themselves don’t even have the holes punched to accept the door trim clips, my ’63 R2104 van is the same.

Liam4R4SPARES said:
A very basic car then ! that i like .I wonder how many survive to this day ? and was production ONLY in 1962 ?

I'd say the ones that the owners didn't kill would have succumbed to the dreaded rust bug, and then there are the handful of lucky survivors from those, so probably not too many.....

And yes, production was only for 1962 MY.

I'm having a really hard time resisiting this car.

My whole car strategy at the moment is not only to avoid buying cars, but also to get rid of one.

But it's soooo tempting.

Please, could you all link arms and send me subliminal "don't buy any more daft cars not even if it involves a nice holiday in France" messages.

the curse of ebay

Just when i think I might be cutting down...
Lets hope the car goes somewhat unnoticed...some hope... as someone else said the Dutch love this sort of stuff, I fear the price will go sky high.
Can any of you translate the wording?
Also its right down near the western French/Spanish border....Thats a long long drive with a trailer...
Its unbelivable what comes up on ebay...

Re: the curse of ebay

Stuart Delahoy said:
Where is La Poste when you need him?

What's this with the trailer? Have you no sense of adventure? If you are prepared to drive the car back then I'll give you a lift down.

:clementi:

Sence of adventure yes...madness no...
Am I right in thinking this will have the 603cc engine...did they put it in any other cars?
Should make Liams old 747cc car seem like a ball of fire...

Anyone up for a road trip ? .I would love a bid but do not fancy leaving it the cenre of town every friday night for the local idiot to vandalise .Seriously i am owed a few days holiday if anyone needs a mechanic to help with the journey .Exactly where is the car in France ? for reasons unknown only to my mind i thought it was in the Dordogne region . STUART you surely cannot resist the temptation for a late bid .

Hello from France !

I will try ... :

RENAULT R3 of the september 6, 1962.
Power 3CV (for french taxes, but really 23 HP).
This car is a only one-owner and it is very healthy for its age. The engine turn.
This is a not-Restored car, witch functioned not such a long time ago and which was not arranged.
original automobile license, original handbook, original "administrative documents" (?).
The vehicule is in Dordogne (ask for "Périgueux" on viamichelin.com to see where is it).
Profile O or negative mercy to contact me before auction. thank you

I forgoten : I give an original gallery with the car
(gallery ? is it the same word in english that in french ?)
Gallerie (in french) is this :
galerie_Sigma_barres.jpg

(for luggages on the roof)

My mind was correct ! i am sure this guy runs a classic car garage .The Dordogne is not too far and is a gorgeous place to visit . I know of a few good Bars and campsites in nearby Sarlat that would accomodate a few idiots from England on a quest to transport back a very basic,underpowered and non running vehicle that has the no spares availabilty whatsoever . Mad dogs and englishmen etc etc would certainly apply .

I’m just glad I’m on the other side of the globe, it sort of dulls the irresistible temptation too :-)

That rescue trip across France to the UK sounds so cool though, although I’d imagine the lower gearing of the R3 and the 603cc motor may make progress a tad noisy. I’ve only got a long trip in my van to measure it against, that wasn't too bad, but perhaps I've got low standards.....

One thing though, the car could have been retrofitted with big block 845cc motor or sleeves if the original motor wore out. There is the red sticker on the rocker cover, it is hard to see if it is a Diable Cinq (Five Devil) 5CV sticker which was on the 845cc motor or if it is actually a Diable Trois (Three Devil) 3CV sticker as it looks shorter than the 5CV sticker. Probably best to check if it has the Type 690-01 block if originality is important.

I asked to the seller if the engine was the original.
He answered me yes (everythings are original)
He have no other picture of the engine.

Hey guys (and every crazy dogs) !
I hope this car stay in France !
maybe I'll buy it ...

P.S. : do you understand my english ?

Stuart i am off tomorrow but to the Ardeche region but a jaunt over the Massif Central into the Dordogne would be nice.Seriously if anyone from the U.K fancies a bid i am happy to help out with driving etc .

Your English is fine le parisien. Thanks for the translation, and of course welcome to the forum. You should post in the introductions section and tell us about your Renault 4(s).

The trip down to France sounds like fun. Do send photos if you end up driving a R3 back home. Even if it's on a trailer.

Back