Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1974 Starter motor - urgent

Nelson

Skint
Hi
Anyone got a starter motor for a 1974 renault 4? I'd need it posted to France. Quite Urgent as not too many places to do rolling starts and only alternative is thwacking it.
Thanks

cant help, but assuming yours is 12v 845 cc (2 bolt) and most donor vehicles are gtl/1108 which wont fit (3 bolt fixing)
if you can hit it to make it work it would be worth find car electrician locally to fit new brushes cheaper than exchange/new starter

probably irrelavant, but many years found new starter in collection of spares i bought thought great a new 6v r4 starter just what i need only to discover it was for a dauphine and rotates opposite direction!!

pity yours is not a pre 1973 then you could of used the starting handle !!!

To be precise.....

it's a R1126 first registered in December 1974 here in France but does have the cranking handle - though I havent tried using it yet. Thwacking the starter motor hasnt been too reliable so we are parking on slopes and bump starting but our other vehicle has just given up the ghost so we really need to get this sorted. Our local mechanic used to work for Renault main dealer in the 70's and says that the unit is sealed and we must replace not repair. Any ideas anyone????

think your local mechanic has developed amnesia
it is more difficult on lhd r4 to remove starter but not immpossible
(try LHD gordini turbo for a challenge)
starter motors are not sealed units, will be either paris rhone or ducellier
brushes will be common to other cars of similar age ,not really diy job as heavy duty soldering required
cant believe in france of all places you are having problems sorting this out
there must be stuff on french ebay?
postage cost will probably be too high to send from uk compared with local repair cost
good luck paul

ps i have got a starter but off on hol friday not time to sort through spares box sorry

French for starter motor?

I've been looking on french ebay but cant see anything at the moment - the thing is I'm 4 months pregnant and cant really push start it on my own so i need to get this sorted asap - maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and ask at local renault garage.

Thanks reno for all your advice - have a nice weekend!

Back