Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1982 Oil Filter for 1108cc GTL

Gsouthee

Enthusiast
Hi what is the best oil filter for a 1982 R4GTL. I can find loads for the R5 with the 1108cc engine so assume the same. Any particular make best. Cheers Gary

I've always used genuine Renault ones. Make sure you get the correct filter thread. Renault once supplied me with the wrong filter.

Hi Gary. As jjad said make sure you get the correct filter threadwise. Yours being an 82 car, and I assume the engine is 82 also, the filter will have a 3/4 UNF thread. The later engine, I think 84 onwards, had a 20mm thread.
Regards Brian.

If your R4 has a 1982 engine, the Renault part number for the filter is:
7701033837. Many pre-1984 Renaults used the same filter, including R5s, but, as jjad and Brian say, the thread size changed that year. If you Google the Renault part number, you'll get lots of equivalents.

(The part number for 84> models is 7700734945. This, or any of its equivalents, will not fit your car).

Mahle oc11 oil filter for my 1984 1108cc; I researched some time ago the construction of oil filters (the different makes of filter for the same vehicle were cut open and disassembled to analyse them) - Mahle and Wix were among the best built and with the largest surface area of filtration material inside. Other well-known makes had far smaller filtration area and shoddy construction which could lead to short life and/or failure. Fram (for example) was one surprising manufacturer to be damned in their report.

Hi guys cheers for info, managed to get car over my pit and have a look at the filter and found the make and model on the side of canister it seems to be a Fram PH2874. So I have ordered pack of 4 save mucking about in future, especially as I like to change Oil at least once a year or 3000miles. I buy my oil in bulk 25 litre drums from Rye Oils down in Rye, as my AC uses the same oil. Excellent stuff.

Cheers all Gary

Purflux LS169B is what Renault used to package and sell it through the dealer network.

Back