Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Air cleaner pre-heating pipe

Eccles60

First Renault 4 after 40 years waiting
I notice from the owner's manual for my '86 1108cc GTL the air cleaner pre-heating pipe should be adjusted with changes in the ambient temperature. Mine I notice is set to pick up warm air from the exhaust pretty permanently given it looks to have been fixed with tape and something else (unidentifiable!).

My question is, assuming that I will mainly drive in warmer weather, should I reinstate the adjustability of the air intake by using a new piece of tubing? If so, any ideas where I can get hold of the right stuff and from the handbook it looks like there's a loop the tube fits in to for the summer position.

Thanks! I've attached a photo of my pipe.

IMG_20190327_140810679.jpg

I once got a replacement pipe from a Renault garage, part number 7700529246.
I suspect you can get some sort of generic part. The diameter is 45mm.

On our Slovenian GTL, there is a steel clip on the inner wing, into which you can clip the pipe for its summer setting. The picture on this site shows what looks more like an eye through which the pipe goes: https://www.renault4.co.uk/r4-restoration-completed/ermintrude-engine.jpg

For hot or cold air intake, my GTL filterbox has a selector.
Season dependingly manualy operated and a wingnut to lock the selector.

Yep that's the sames as mine trouble is that it rattles on the exhaust so going to trim it a bit. G

I've just moved mine directly behind the grill, and even though it's running a little bit more erratic, it also seems like it breathes a bit better at speed. "Ram-air" :D

Wher
I've just moved mine directly behind the grill, and even though it's running a little bit more erratic, it also seems like it breathes a bit better at speed. "Ram-air" :D

Where can I get the hoop/clamp that the pipe goes through on the cross bonnet strut?

You could make one quite easily from a thin strip of say 1inch wide ali it is only a simple P type shape.

Last edited:
Used quite a few of the clips in jjad’s photo during previous camper conversions I’ve done, there called ‘terry clips’ and can be found in various sizes on ebay etc.

We don't have two pipes into the air filter, just the one hose, so that would explain the need for this type of non-permanent clip, compared with the complete ring/eye seen in cars that have a hose and a pipe.

You could make one quite easily from a thin strip of say 1inch wide ali it is only a simple P tyoe shape.

That's very true and a good idea. Thanks.

Back