Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Another 4 for my collection

Martin Hall

Enthusiast
i brought another Renault 4 this week a 4TL this time 747cc engine R1120 year 1986
I paid quite a bit for this one As I brought from a old boy who was giving up driving after nearly 60 years He made the mistake of taking the Car to a Renault main dealer to have the CT renewed They charged nearly 400 euros for the test including 90 euros each for tyres !! They can be picked up for 26 euros at a local drive in tyre place
This car drives well but not a motorway car It does seem to wander about a bit But I havent had a chance to look yet maybe in need of new front shock absorbers
I have also recently brought a couple of early 5`s the inline engine models pre 85 These all seem to have failed head gaskets and are the 1108cc engines
I have tried to add a picture of the new 4

• Ren4tl.jpg
    Ren4tl.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 154
Re: wandering Renault

It might be worth checking the metal/rubber universal joint in the steering column - I can't remember the 4 off-hand, but most Renaults of the era seem to have these (maybe even the same across all models?).

The 2 rubber inserts can become very loose - I did this fix on a friend's early R5 - prior to the repair it was wandering all over the road in quite an alarming manner.

Not difficult if you can get access to the joint - again, depends on model I guess.

Hope it is this - quicker and cheaper than new shocks I imagine!

Another cause of wandering is the front tracking. Too much toe out can do it. High winds are another possibility. It's not normally damping - that just makes them bounce around in a more jolly fashion.

Welcome mouseflakes. The steering joint is a good point - rubber will delaminate from the metal, and it's probably difficult to spot unless the joint is unbolted. It's not exposed to oil so most cars will still have the originals.

You are getting quite a collection together there.

Back