Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

any one lowered ren 4?

silki

just found this site ,looks good im new ,so be gentle. just restoring a gtl . going to lower the beast and slip a 1.4 cc engine in her. tint the windows and smooth the door handles off . any tips will help .cheers SILKI.[/b]

Its all a matter of opinion really Maestro Man and any Maestro owner should know that. Don't go a bomb on the smoothed off door handles but if its done well..........well lets see. As for lowering it and slipping in a 1.4 Silki, I'm with you there. I prefer the comp look myself. Hopefully these 2 pics show what I mean. The first is from the Irish R4 site (hope you don't mind? and the second is from a French motor sport club site. The car is a 1.4 Alpine/Gordini engined hill climber owned by Fred Gestinoux I think. I googled around his name and actually found the results sheet for the 2003 Mont Ventoux (famous for British cyclist Tommy Simpson dying on it in the 60s) hill climb. M. Gestinoux was beating some pretty fast machinery that day. Not one for the slow car club I don't think. Is that two negatives making a positive?

4maxi_2_135.jpg

4maxi_902.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I lowered mine a few days ago. After "slipping" in the bigger engine it became a necessity. Handling improved A LOT. I kind of resumed my experience in the "Saggy Torsion Bars" Thread. Lowering is not a very smart idea if you use the car for other purposes, you should watch your ride height very well, since lowering just lowers the center of gravity, it doesn't pre-load or stiffen the suspension in any way, so you will be easily topping the suspension if you add weight. There are of course Coil-Over Shocks and other stuff, but goes extra :wink:

I'm planning to bung a 1.4 "moteur" into a '68 Renault 4. Sounds like a very sensible plan. Do you have the 5 speed gearbox as well? There are some useful posts here (find with the forum search link in the navigation at the top) about that. The 1.4 engine should fit in GTL with just a little messing around with the throttle cable arrangement.

As a matter of fact I did take some pictures, but in the process I forgot to take some illustrative pictures. Hope this shows something.

tn_sv300041_370.jpg

tn_sv300034_118.jpg

tn_sv300033_734.jpg

tn_sv300032_171.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back